Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Apr 15, 2006, 10:26 PM   #1

Is this program of any use, or should I just use a card reader to transfer my images? What's the general feeling?

Thanks
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 15, 2006, 11:07 PM   #2

It is basic editing software. It will let you play with Nikon RAW files. You are better off with Nikon Capture. It will let you edit much more then Picture Project. I think it should be included with D50. You can get it for about $80-100. As for transferring pictures I can't tell you much. My card reader is recognized as separate drive so it is just matter of copy (cut) and paste in respective folder on my hard drive.
thorxgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2006, 11:21 PM   #3

thorxgal wrote:
Quote:
It is basic editing software. It will let you play with Nikon RAW files. You are better off with Nikon Capture. It will let you edit much more then Picture Project. I think it should be included with D50. You can get it for about $80-100. As for transferring pictures I can't tell you much. My card reader is recognized as separate drive so it is just matter of copy (cut) and paste in respective folder on my hard drive.
I've always preferred to use a card reader rather than the programs that come with the cameras. I have stand alone editing programs that I prefer. So, as long as there is nothing major that I need from the program I think I may pass on installing. I haven't shot in RAW format. Not saying that I never will :-) Ithink Adobe Photo Elements will read Nikon's RAW files.

Thanks
Old Apr 16, 2006, 8:43 PM   #4
iko

If you don't want to use that software you can still download files from the camera using Windows Explorer. In my Windows 2000 machine, it automatically detected the camera and added a new drive letter in Windows Explorer.
iko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2006, 10:14 PM   #5

iko wrote:
Quote:
If you don't want to use that software you can still download files from the camera using Windows Explorer. In my Windows 2000 machine, it automatically detected the camera and added a new drive letter in Windows Explorer.
Thanks. Did you just hook up the camera to your computer or did you use a separate card reader?
Old Apr 17, 2006, 7:59 PM   #6
iko

I hooked the camera to my PC. I have no card reader. This is what I do all the time.

Just FYI, even though your card in your camera will appear as another drive on your PC do not use Windows Explorer to format it. The Format function of your camera is a more reliable way of removing files.
iko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2006, 8:56 PM   #7

iko wrote:
Quote:
I hooked the camera to my PC. I have no card reader. This is what I do all the time.

Just FYI, even though your card in your camera will appear as another drive on your PC do not use Windows Explorer to format it. The Format function of your camera is a more reliable way of removing files.
Thanks for the help.