Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Apr 17, 2006, 11:55 PM   #1

Hello to you all,
I need some help with P shooting mode. The Manual (p 42) says you can change settings in P mode by rotating the command dial. As flexible program icon
appears, settings change. I rotate the dial and don't see any changes in the settings? Plus manual says rotating dial will find new combinations of aperture and speed settings. On other digital camera I had, in P mode, you could change aperture and shutter speed separately. So I don't quite understand how the Nikon P mode works. Can someone help me please or give me a hint, or two. Does this have something to do with auto-ISO or any pre-programmed setting Icould have turned on?

Thanks a million times
Germain
Karmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 18, 2006, 4:38 AM   #2

On P mode the camera automatically sets the speed and aperture based on the available light and the ISO you've set. Turning the command dial should change the shutter speed aperture combination while keeping the exposure the same.

For example the camera may set the shutter speed at 1/250 aperture f8 turning the dial one way should give you 1/125 f11 turning it the other way will give 1/500 F5.6

If you're testing this indoors it may not work. In low light turning the dial in one of the directions can fail to make changes if there are no suitable shifts available for the lighting conditions.

The M mode is manual and allows you to set the shutter speed and aperture seperately to whatever you want. The meter in the viewfinder will tell you when the camera thinks you've got the settings right for the correct exposure.

S is shutter priority you set the shutter speed the camera chooses the appropriate aperture.

A is aperture priority you set the aperture and the camera selects the shutter speed.

Ken

Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2006, 6:15 AM   #3

Also, if you turn 10 clicks the wrong way indoors, you then need to go 10 clicks back the right way before it will start to have any effect, so it can look like it isn't working.

Keith.

Nagasaki wrote:
Quote:
If you're testing this indoors it may not work. In low light turning the dial in one of the directions can fail to make changes if there are no suitable shifts available for the lighting conditions.
keith1200rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2006, 9:49 AM   #4

thanks for the question Karmin, I was thinking the same thing. So let me get this right, "P" I set the ISO the camera adjusts Ap and SS accordingly, what is the deal with "auto"?
TIA
Dave in NJ
www.bassithound.com
bassithound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2006, 10:32 AM   #5

Auto is basically the same as P but it makes a lot more choices and won't let you adjust anything. The shutter and aperture are as selected by the camera.

On my D70 in A mode I can't select

White balance

Image optimisation

metering

exposure compensation

bracketing

or flash mode in auto and in addition the flash pops up automatically if the light levels are low.

I never use anything except the PSAM modes as with the other modes the camera is taking too much control.
Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2006, 6:35 PM   #6

I aways wondered why when turning the jog dial in P mode it didnt make any changes. Im in my house in low light. You just answered something Ive been wondering about for a long time without even trying. Thanks man!
DocX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2006, 6:04 PM   #7

Karmin, the dial gives you fast access to various functions.

try this,

while in 'P' mode press the ISO button located on the left side of your camera back panel.

While depressed, turn the wheel

you will note on the LCD on the top of the camera that you are now manually changing the ISO.

it works for other things like white balance and EV etc
norm smith is offline   Reply With Quote