Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Apr 21, 2006, 6:07 PM   #1

I am going to install the PictureProject Software. In the Guide it says to hook up the Camera direct to a USB port and Not use a Hub. Just wondering if anyone has bent the rules and hooked the Camera up to a hub. If so, any problems. The hubs that I have are powered ones.

Thanks,
Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 21, 2006, 7:00 PM   #2

Carol-

You don't have to load PictureProject unless you really want to do it. The easiest system is to use a SD chip reader, which can be plugged into a hub with no problem at all. That way, you just take the SD chip from the camera and put it into the chip reader. Your computer recognizes the SD chip reader as an external drive, and you are all set.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2006, 8:15 PM   #3

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
Carol-

You don't have to load PictureProject unless you really want to do it. The easiest system is to use a SD chip reader, which can be plugged into a hub with no problem at all. That way, you just take the SD chip from the camera and put it into the chip reader. Your computer recognizes the SD chip reader as an external drive, and you are all set.

MT
I do have a card reader that I use. I have Paint Shop Pro 9 also. Is there anything that would be useful off the PictureProject software?
Old Apr 21, 2006, 9:45 PM   #4

The Nikon software doen'st offer anything that you won't get from Paint shop pro. I have an imac, and connect through the USB on the keyboard, which is hub, with no problems.

Dave in NJ
bassithound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2006, 10:38 PM   #5

bassithound wrote:
Quote:
The Nikon software doen'st offer anything that you won't get from Paint shop pro. I have an imac, and connect through the USB on the keyboard, which is hub, with no problems.

Dave in NJ
Thanks
Old Apr 22, 2006, 12:54 AM   #6

I use PictureProject and love it. It helps organise my picturefilesvery well. It will also store my files in NEF which I always could come back and play with all the saved files. It take some learning curve like all things these days.

ruchai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2006, 1:01 AM   #7

ruchai wrote:
Quote:
I use PictureProject and love it. It helps organise my picturefilesvery well. It will also store my files in NEF which I always could come back and play with all the saved files. It take some learning curve like all things these days.

Thanks. I think I'm going to install it. I'm having trouble with my SD card. Can't get all the photo's off of it. They show up in the camera but not when accessing the card in my reader. (I've started another thread on this "Anyone having trouble with their SD card"). Maybe the software will be able to access the photos.
Old Apr 22, 2006, 3:30 AM   #8

There are all kinds of card readers. Some SD cards are not up to standard. As they are also used by cheap point and shoot cameras. Get the best card and best reader should solve your problem. D50 is a very capable camera. Nikon sell them so cheap is not becausetheyare ofinferior quality. Use the better lenses and better cards and you can do practically any thing with the camera.

Attached is the picture I took with D50 and Nikkor 60 mm macro lens.
Attached Images

ruchai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2006, 12:54 PM   #9

ruchai wrote:
Quote:
There are all kinds of card readers. Some SD cards are not up to standard. As they are also used by cheap point and shoot cameras. Get the best card and best reader should solve your problem. D50 is a very capable camera. Nikon sell them so cheap is not becausetheyare ofinferior quality. Use the better lenses and better cards and you can do practically any thing with the camera.

Attached is the picture I took with D50 and Nikkor 60 mm macro lens.

WOW!!!! Great picture. I love the camera. The card I was using was the SanDisc card that was packaged with the camera from Nikon. Maybe it's a faulty card. I do notice that it is hard to insert into the readers that I have. Fits real "tight". I tried the card in several different readers with the same results. After I deleted the photo that it was hanging up on, I connected the camera to the PC and was able to download the rest of the photo's. They all showed up after the offending photo was deleted. I posted more info in the other thread I have going on this.

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...c.php?id=89669

Thanks

Old Apr 26, 2006, 9:11 AM   #10

As I said in your other post. You probably turned off the camera while that picture was loading from the buffer to the card. It will screw up the photo that is loading just about every time if you turn the camera off before it finishes.

I just leave my camera turned on at all times when I'm using it. It has a sleep mode so nothing is going to mess up just leaving it on at all times when working.

Just be sure it is off when removing the card or batterys but be sure it is not still loading pictures from the buffer to the card before you shut it down.

Ronnie
Ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote