Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Apr 21, 2006, 10:10 PM   #1

Sometimes when trying to copy photos from my card to the PC, it will copy so many and then it hangs up. The rest of the file/files will not display a thumbnail or be able to be read. Could I have a bad card or bad reader? The 1st reader I used was from my Palm Pilot and thought maybe it wasn't capable of reading high volumes of photo's. Went to Sam's Club and got a Stratitec Multi Reader. Any ideas?

My SD card is a SanDisk 256MB that came with the camera.

Checked the card in the camera and the photo's all show up in the camera monitor. I checked the card on my PC and my Laptop and both times it would only read up to photo 46 and there are 118 photo's on the card.

EDIT: Tried a different card (Lexar) and took 121 pics and they all show up. Anyone have any idea why the SanDisk shows up in the camera but not on the reader? Do you think if I took the card to a camera shop they might be able to get the photo's off of it?

Thanks

sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 22, 2006, 2:41 AM   #2

Could be a format problem. When you have managed to get the pictures off the card, format it in the camera.

Keith.
keith1200rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2006, 11:49 AM   #3

keith1200rs wrote:
Quote:
Could be a format problem. When you have managed to get the pictures off the card, format it in the camera.

Keith.
I did format the card in the camera. I format after I download the pictures each time, and always in the camera. You don't think it can be a camera problem do you? As I mentioned in my 1st post, the 1st time I used the camera I tried reading it in my reader that I got with my Palm Pilot. When it hung up, I thought it was a problem with that reader. I formated the card in the camera and this is a whole new set of photo's.

I do notice that when inserting this card into the reader, it fits "tighter" than my other cards, if that makes any sense.

After playing around last night, I ended up deleting the photo that it was getting hung up on and then connected the camera to the PC and it transferred the rest of the pictures. So, evidently that one picture was the problem. Just don't know if it's a card problem or camera problem.

Also, I took these pictures while at the Shedd Aquarium, and while having lunch, my son had his Walkie Talkie from work on the table not too far from the camera. Last night I was reading in the manual about radio transmiter signals could damage data on the cards or mess with the camera's internal circuitry (sp?)

Thanks
Old Apr 22, 2006, 1:29 PM   #4
rey

So it looks like that one picture was corrupt. I think PCs stops copying when it encounters a corrupt file. When I encounter this, not with memory card, but PC is general, I usually skip one file and try the rest.

I wouldn't worry about the walkie talkie though. I doubt that's the problem.

The format that cameras do is nothing more than erasing the FAT table and creating a new one. So try doing a full format with your PC, or better yet, do a scan disk on it also.

Good Luck!
rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2006, 2:57 PM   #5

rey wrote:
Quote:
So it looks like that one picture was corrupt. I think PCs stops copying when it encounters a corrupt file. When I encounter this, not with memory card, but PC is general, I usually skip one file and try the rest.

I wouldn't worry about the walkie talkie though. I doubt that's the problem.

The format that cameras do is nothing more than erasing the FAT table and creating a new one. So try doing a full format with your PC, or better yet, do a scan disk on it also.

Good Luck!
The PC wouldn't recognise any photo's after the corrupt one. After I deleted the corrupt one, then I could import the photos.

If it wasn't the Walkie Talkie (it was a large commercial one), any ideas what caused the corruption??

Will try your suggestion of scan disk and formatting in the PC. Will then format in the camera just to be safe. :-)

I just got back from taking some shots of the grandkids. Took 126 shots with each card that I have (252 total) and all of them uploaded with no problem.

Thanks
Old Apr 23, 2006, 7:28 AM   #6

It's hard to say what might have caused the corruption, but it definetly wasn't the walkie talkie. Write errors occasionally happen.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2006, 8:50 AM   #7

I think more likely a card-reader problem. Pls check for any bad contact or even the USB cable.

Is your Sandisk normal-speed "blue" package, or Ultra II "black" package?

FYI mine is Sandisk Ultra II 1GB, 3500 pictures already for 2 months, so far so good. I used an USB 2.0 Multi-Card reader, which gives me about 7MB/sec peak transfer speed.

Also occasionally Kingston Ultima (120X) 2GB, no problem.
big_potato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2006, 3:06 PM   #8

rjseeney wrote:
Quote:
It's hard to say what might have caused the corruption, but it definetly wasn't the walkie talkie. Write errors occasionally happen.
Thanks. Hopefully I will have smooth running ahead. :-)
Old Apr 23, 2006, 3:10 PM   #9

big_potato wrote:
Quote:
I think more likely a card-reader problem. Pls check for any bad contact or even the USB cable.

Is your Sandisk normal-speed "blue" package, or Ultra II "black" package?
I doubt it was a card reader problem since I did try a few different readers on different computers with the same results. Am thinking it was a write error as rjseeney suggested.

The Sandisk is the normal-speed "blue". Next one will be an Ultra II.

Thanks
Old Apr 26, 2006, 8:03 AM   #10

You may have turned the camera off while that file was still loading onto the card. It will do it just about every time on the photo that is loading.. Always just leave your camera turned on until You get home. It has a standby mode so it really does not hurt anything to just leave it on all the time until You want to dump the card or change the batterys.

Another thing is to always make very sure the camera is off before removing the Card or the Batterys.

Ronnie
Ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote