Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Apr 22, 2006, 12:36 PM   #1

Hello, I just bought Nikon D50 with lens and do the test shot. I found that the upper corner of the picture look so blurry and color doesn't look right compare with the bottom corner. I shot at 1/250 f8 other part of the image look fine only upper corner. Please follow the link here
http://chbo.net/images/door.jpg

Is it normal or just me? Thank you so much.
peepoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 22, 2006, 2:46 PM   #2

I think its just you lol, I can barely tell any difference,
Its probably just the lens, If you took that at wide angle, And your apperature was the minimum F3.5, You can expect a bit of softness in the corners, Stop down to F5 or F8 and I bet it will dissapear completely

No exif data in the pic so we need more infor from you about how you took the shot though
Lexiticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2006, 6:23 AM   #3

My guess is since you were standing on the ground the top corners are just farther away from the focal plane than the bottom corners and were a bit softer. Looks fine to me. I also don't see the color problem. Try rotating the picture and see if it's your monitor causining the color problem you see.
ReneB3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2006, 12:07 PM   #4
rey

Yeah it does look soft on the top corners, but just like ReneB3, I dont see the color problem.

Also I think ReneB3 is right, it could just be that the top corners are farther, but at f/8 everything should be in focus. Did you focus half-way up the building? or straight-up at eye level? Did you try it at f/11?

One of the first things I did when I got my camera was make similar tests like this. Partly to make sure my lens is okay, but also to understand its limitations and compensate for it.

Below are the results with my lenses. I have the 18-55 kit, 70-300G and 50 f/1.8 prime.

Notice that the 18-55 @18mm F/8 is "OK" but I had to step it down to f/11 to get a Good, focus throughout. This specific result surprised me since that lens @55mm and f/8 was "Good".

For the two budget lenses, the old photography adage of "f/8 and be there" works for the most part.

These tests are subjective (to my interpretation of Good and OK), done indoors with a tripod, I used traditional f-stops, not half-way or one-thirds, and of course not all lenses are the same, and since some lens element rotates, that softness on the upper corner could move to the side or bottom (or could move to the part of the lens not visible to the sensor, ie cropped out).

There are tons of possibilities. So what I do is zoom-in on critical areas after taking shots, and also corners to make sure it looks what I want it to. Photography is art, so you have to know your tools and understand them.

18-55 @18mm
=============
f/8 OK
f/11 Good

18-55 @24mm
=============
f/5.6 OK
f/8.0 Good

18-55 @55mm
=============
f/5.6 OK
f/8.0 Good