Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Apr 22, 2006, 8:53 PM   #1

I just bought a D50 and would like to teach my 11 year old son how to use it (along with myself). He does not have the patience to read through the manual like I have. I am not doing a very good job of teaching him what I hve learned. I have seen about 3 different videos for the D50. Any idea which is the best?

stevem1928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 22, 2006, 11:26 PM   #2

i'm familiar with"blue crane digital" on the web. a dvd came withmy canon 20d and a dvd is available for my nikon d200. the dvd will walk you thru the camera and settings, pausing during each segmentto giveyou time to try it out (like school assignments). kinda nice. if the segment is not understood, replay and practice til it is, or go back to dvd for reference. DSLRs are a bit more complex than point and shoot cameras. good thing is that most DSLRs have the option to shoot in auto or program mode. the cost is approx. $30. hope this helps. have fun shooting :-)
jazzin junkshun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2006, 1:46 AM   #3

Thanks. That does help me. Blue Crane is one of videos I was looking at. There are a couple of others, but I don't know the names of them off-hand. One of them is about 30 min longer than Blue Crane. More content, but maybe not as good?

I would also be interested in other generic dSLR videos, or maybe even film SLR videos for general photography.
Old Apr 23, 2006, 10:15 AM   #4

There was an earlier thread, also here in stevesforums Nikon DSLR,

exactly about what you are searching for,

and nicely, it is official free tutorial video from Nikon website.

But the problem is .......,

I can't remember the exact Topic name

Pls search the archive yourself.
big_potato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2006, 10:34 AM   #5

I just ordered the D50 myself...I do not have it yet but I have been watching the video from nikon mentioned previously!

But for me the sound cuts out a lot...not enough memory to listen without a lot of sputtering...But you can check it out...

http://www.nikondigitutor.com/index_eng.html

Nancy:|
Diggin99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2006, 1:21 PM   #6
rey

I posted this on another thread recently. It's been helpful to me in understanding dSLR:

http://www.canon.co.jp/Imaging/enjoydslr/index.html

If I remember correctly, it was posted by Steve mid-last year.

rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2006, 5:00 PM   #7

Thanks. In an earlier search, I did find the link to the Canon site, but not the Nikon. The Canon site was good. I will check the Nikon site.

Old Apr 24, 2006, 12:07 AM   #8

Diggin99 wrote:
Quote:
I just ordered the D50 myself...I do not have it yet but I have been watching the video from nikon mentioned previously!

But for me the sound cuts out a lot...not enough memory to listen without a lot of sputtering...But you can check it out...

http://www.nikondigitutor.com/index_eng.html
Just watched the basic tutorial for the D50. There is a lot of sputtering in the middle of each mini-video, due to poor streaming from the website's server's, and the music's a hypnotic mantra of sorts, but it is a good overview to get people going. Nikon, or whomever, did a great job matching the JPG sample imagecolors to the macromedia video colors.

I noticed that the sample images were mainly done with an upscale f2.8 or VR lens. Not one shot with either of the kit lenses! Wonder how many were free hand? The JPG's did look good though.

One other observation: The D50 video uses a teenage female photographer while the D200 video has an adult male handling the duties. Does this mean I should get the D200? :?

Both are great dslr's.
Stratman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2006, 8:08 AM   #9

Stratman wrote:

One other observation:* The D50 video uses a teenage female photographer while the D200 video has an adult male handling the duties.* Does this mean I should get the D200?* :?

Both are great dslr's.
[/quote]

:G lol...well I am not an adult male but certainly would not turn down a chance to get the D200!

Nancy
Diggin99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2006, 11:57 AM   #10

Diggin99 wrote:

:G lol...well I am not an adult male but certainly would not turn down a chance to get the D200!

Nancy

I am afflicted with champagne taste on a beer budget. :lol:

[/quote]
Stratman is offline   Reply With Quote