Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Apr 24, 2006, 9:06 AM   #1

I would like to know which is better. I know the d70s does 3 fps vs the d50 does 2.5fps. is that a big deal?Does one focus faster than the other or is that all about the lens ?I know I am going to need a good lens. Is the 18-200 good for something like outdoor motocross ? Thanks
fjr26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 24, 2006, 9:54 AM   #2

D50 and D70(s) have identical AF performance.
D70(s) has faster "framerate" and it's the biggest difference.
I havent shot motocross so i dont know if D70 ability to change metering mode without going trough menu is big advantage.

In daylight 18-200 should be good choice, it focuses fast and has VR to aid with panning.
If you think about shooting at dawn/dusk or indoor arenas then something like 70-200 f2.8 could be better.

Shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2006, 5:45 PM   #3

I used my d70s at my local R/C track to take some pictures of everones car on the track. The cars run about 12mph and have motocross style jumps of about the same scale. The results were better than expected and I used the 18-70 most of the time. I tried pushing the ISO for faster shutter speeds and f 8 or higher to keep everything in focus. I only saw some noise and got about 3 frames of each car over a jump (12mph is fater than it looks). Now this was in full sunlight so if your event is indoors it will be much more difficult. I have had my best results at f8-11 at ISO 800 and shutter speeds in the 250+ range. The stop the spinning tires I had to get over 1/640. The cars came out fine at 1/120 or so. The only way I could use the zoom and get close was to be patient and frame a spot and wait. About 1/3 of the frames were useful. But if you take enough you will get everone.

I don't think the camera will be the limiting factor, 2.5 or 3 FPS will yield about the same practical results. The rest is about the same for both cameras. Buy fast memory! I have done it twice now and the second time has better results. Good luck!
ReneB3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2006, 5:45 PM   #4

Sorry pushed the button twice, so here's a pic. f 11, 1/1250, ISO 1600.
Attached Images

ReneB3 is offline   Reply With Quote