Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Apr 29, 2006, 12:28 PM   #1

Hello, I've had my D50 for one week now and I'm totally happy with it. Even my dear Canon friends have to admit: the quality of the photos -don't mean the composition- is stunning. But there are some issues that have something to do with me I guess. Like I'm having a very hard time to calculate the focal distance. It's said that the VF shows 95% of the actual view. What's the best technique to avoid cropping heads, arms, feet or anything else that I see in the VF and don't appear on the computer. This one is a hard one for me. See the photo.
Thanks to everyone. I read your posts and I learned a lot from you. So great to know you.

Germain
Attached Images

Karmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 30, 2006, 4:37 AM   #2

I'm confused by your post. The viewfinder shows 95% of the actual shot. When you take the shot the resulting picture has more space around the subjects than shown in the viewfinder it doesn't crop what is seen in the viewfinder.

Ken
Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2006, 4:33 PM   #3

Hello,
Sorry, I didn't want my post to be confusing. I have some difficulty adjusting to a 95% view. I mean, do I have to adjust the focal lenght in order to have the exact same picture on screen or paper than the one I see in the VF. Or, maybe I'm taking the whole issue from the very wrong end. Can someone help me clear this one out please.

Thanks again
Germain:?:
Old Apr 30, 2006, 4:57 PM   #4
Administrator

Karmin wrote:
Quote:
What's the best technique to avoid cropping heads, arms, feet or anything else that I see in the VF and don't appear on the computer. This one is a hard one for me. See the photo.
That photo has been cropped. The camera didn't shoot it that way.

Anything you see in the viewfinder will be in the image captured by the camera.

Sometimes you may get slightly more than you can see in the viewfinder. But, you won't get less than you can see in the viewfinder.

Something cropped that image (probably something you're doing in your workflow with software). It's not the same aspect ratio (ratio of width to height) your D50 would capture.

The aspect ratio of an image captured by your D50 is 2:3 or 3:2, depending on how you want to look at it. That's the same as 35mm film. That's also the same as you'd need for a 4x6" print with no cropping.

If you need other print sizes that are not an exact multiple of 2x3, you will need to crop the image. If you know you'll need to print at a specfic size other than 4x6" (or an exact multiple), then it can be a good idea to leave a little more room.

Different print sizes will have different ratios of width to height. Here is a handy chart that shows the percentage of the frame used by common aspect ratios for some of the popular print sizes.

http://home.earthlink.net/~terryleedawson/dcnotes/tables.htm#frameutil

You'll need to use software to crop the images to the desired ratio of width to height later if you don't want a multiple of 2x3.

But, the sample you posted has already been cropped by something in your workflow. The camera didn't shoot it using that ratio of width to height.You can resize an image without changing the aspect ratio.

What are you trying to do and what software were you using to get it like that?
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2006, 10:39 PM   #5

Hello JimC and thanks for the important information. After I read your post, I looked at the photo. You're right: something's very wrong. But I know: I reduced the size in PShop. When asked the scale, I asked 800 pixels large. PShop did the rest. The photo is the result. So I downsized it again but used percentage values. Attached is the new photo. Makes lot more sense. But after all the info given in theses posts, as for the 95% view issue, I really thought the VF was showing less that what I wanted my composition to be, I tried to avoid cropping the photo after on the computer. I went a bit too far with this thinking I know. So the thing is the VF shows 95% of composition. Just have to figure out I will see 5% more on the computer. Do I have it right now? So as for this photo, I made a real bad composition,:?
Attached Images

Old Apr 30, 2006, 10:59 PM   #6
Administrator

It looks close. I wouldn't worry too much about the extra 5% you don't see. That's not very much difference.

Also, if you need to print at larger sizes (for example, 8x10"), you'll need to leave yourselfmore room than that anyway for cropping.

Take some photos and practice with the crop tool (selecting different print sizes), and you'll get a better idea of how you'll need to frame for sizes other than 4x6".

Old May 6, 2006, 2:45 PM   #7

Hi all

i too have an issue with what you see in the viewfinder and what you actually get in the pic.

When i take a shot with my sigma 80-400 lens attached what i see in the viewfinder is great but when i get the pic on the computer the subject that i thought was gonnabe quite large isn't.

so then i have to crop the image and it just ain't the same.

Yeh i know you all are gonna say it is the same but at the end of the day the shot i think i'm taking is not has i see it. i.e when i take a pic of a bird in a tree it looks like the bird is gonna fill the frame but when i get the pic on the computer it doesn't, it actually seems further away. can't figure it out but hey i think the camera is great not so sure about the big lens though.

bodge

wadge1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2006, 2:51 PM   #8
Administrator

The viewfinder will show slightly less than what the camera is capturing.

The original poster thought he had the opposite problem (viewfinder showing more than the camera would capture, which would not happen).

Make sure you've got your eye close enough to the viewfinder. Otherwise, you'll think you're filling the frame more than you are.