Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old May 1, 2006, 7:17 AM   #11

I've had pretty good luck doing macro work on jewelry. I use a piece of grey felt for the background. I have an automatic cat feeder (translucent white plastic) that I place over the felt (large opening down). I have a little gooseneck halogen light that I bought at Target that goes outside the cat feeder, and I stick the lens through the round opening in the top of the cat feeder. The translucent plastic diffuses the light from the halogen lamp, elminating most shadows. Works pretty well. The above piece of jewelry was abouttwo inches wide by about 1.5 inches tall.
suzilem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2006, 12:58 AM   #12

I would love to see a photo of how you have that setup, the picture looks great!

If you want to email me the photo direct, send to [email protected]

Thanks again for all the advice

Mark
zacm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2006, 6:16 AM   #13

Another trick if you have trouble with focus is to place a small object in the field of view. I have a 6" white plastic ruler with black markings that I use. That gives the autofocus mechanism something to home in on in the same focal plane as your object as well as providing a scale for size. You can always crop it out of your finished shot if you wish.

I'll try to get a shot of my homemade getup for you as soon as I can.

suzilem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2006, 11:20 PM   #14

zacm: You might first off pick up a book, digital photography for dummies at a book store like Barnes & Nobel (or others). Get some basic understanding of how photography works, and you will find out that all photography goes by certain rules. Break them and you get poor results.

The Winemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2006, 2:51 PM   #15

Your main problem is lighting and support. It requires more than just a flash to properly illuminate object for macro photography. A good macro flash (quite expensive), tungsten lighting (cheaper, but very hot) or slave flashes combined with a light tent provide even, bright lighting. You also need a good tripod...DOF is so small in macro photography that even the smallest shake causes problems.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2006, 9:30 PM   #16

I greatly appreciate all the good feedback, as most of you know I am very green at this but starting to love it.

I do have one real concern though. I just got this D50 last Friday, regardless of lighting, I cannot use the flash in auto mode, all my pictures end up dark or all orange. They are so dark that you cannot hardly see the picture. I found out that most pictures turn out well even in low lighting if I do not use the flash. In a perfectly lit room, the flash screws everything up. Is this normal for this camera? I know they are a completly different breed, but still concerned about this flash.
Old May 4, 2006, 7:14 AM   #17

to enable flash you have to hold the flash button and move the wheel while watching the top display. This will allow you to turn on and change flash mode.
Quikster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2006, 11:01 PM   #18

I am green, but not that green. I know how to use the flash, what I am saying is that when I use the flash, regardless of what type of lighting I have, the picture ends up orange and almost black. It seems like the camera takes the picture just as the flash is completing and you end up with the residual darkness. The flash actually makes every picture very dark to a point where you cant see the picture.

For example, my point and shoot camera takes an okay picture in poor lighting using the flash. My D50 taking the same picture in the same room you cannot tell what I just took a picture of because it is so dark, if I turn off the flash, the picture looks better than my point and shoot photo that I just took. This is only in Auto mode that I have this problem with the flash.

Example.

This photo was using auto mode withoutflash http://www.zacm.com/test1.jpg

This phot was taken in auto mode with a flash. I had to lighten it up so that you could even see theimage http://www.zacm.com/test2.jpg
Old May 4, 2006, 11:36 PM   #19

are you outside the flash's effective distance? That is the only time I have personally had this issue. Because the camera expected a certain amount of light but it was outside the range of the flash so it was really dark.

You could also try increasing the aperature and see what that does as it should allow more light to be captured but it will be slower
Quikster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2006, 12:23 AM   #20

With the pictures shown, I am about 5 feet. Yes, I have tried all the way up to 1600 but still no success. It really does not matter how far or close I am to an object or the lighting condition, I get the same results.

I have owned about 6 different digital cameras, none being an SLR, butI am still havig a difficult time believing this is all operator error. Auto mode should be fairly basic and straight forward. What settings could I or even can I change in auto mode that will make a difference?

I do appreciate all the input and ideas.