Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old May 5, 2006, 12:39 AM   #21

If I switch over from auto mode to the "P" mode and take the exact same photo using the flash as well, same distance and lighting, the picture is too bright from the flash. Could this still be operator error?

I am confused! Sorry!
zacm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2006, 3:07 AM   #22
rey

zacm

It looks like you're having lots of problem with this, and I am also beginning to think it's more than user error. If you bought your camera from a store, you may want to return it, or at least go there and show them your problems.

If you bought it online, then maybe find someone in your area that has the D50 and you can show them what you're experiencing. Or return it, and get a new one for an exchange. I've tried duplicating what you've described to us and I don't get that really dark image when the flash fired.

rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2006, 7:18 AM   #23

I agree w/ Rev I didn't shoot the D50 much yet as mine won't arrive till monday. However, when using it in auto mode I had no issues with brightness.

The only other possilble thing I saw even close created more of a shadow then the whole imgae being dark. That was leaving the lens hood on while shooting flash.

So perhaps you are unlucky and received a defective camera. Which is certainly possible as it is something like 10% of all electronics fail within the first few weeks if they are going to fail.
Quikster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2006, 6:39 PM   #24

Well, at least your making me feel better.

I had someone else look at the last two photo's that I listed on a previous email, he feels the flash is off from the shutter, he said you can tell by looking at the shadow in both pictures. The shadow should change when you use the flash, but it does not, the shadow is in the same spot as the shadow without the flash.

I did buy this on-line at Cameta, not sure how they are at responding to service problems though. They sent me an email to call them during business hours, so I will call them on Monday. Not sure if anyone has had any experience with them?
Old May 9, 2006, 7:05 PM   #25

Quick Update

I contacted Nikon Tec support and they walked me through several procedures which still did not correct the problem. I contacted Cameta who sold me the camera, at this Cameta has been incredibly helpful and willing to take care of the issue.

Very pleased.

Thanks all
Old May 9, 2006, 7:15 PM   #26

That's good to hear I hope everything works out for the best. I'm glad to hear that Cameta is helping you out as I have also purchased my D50 body from them.

zacm wrote:
Quote:
Quick Update

I contacted Nikon Tec support and they walked me through several procedures which still did not correct the problem. I contacted Cameta who sold me the camera, at this Cameta has been incredibly helpful and willing to take care of the issue.

Very pleased.

Thanks all
Quikster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2006, 5:55 PM   #27

Received my exchanged camera today. First off I just wanted to give Cameta a quick plug here. They handled this exchange with the utmost professionalism. Instead of reimbursing me for shipping, they shipped my camera back to me via 2nd day air per my request. They called me the day it was shipping back to let me know that the camera they were sending me, he personally just tested all the functions and took several test photo's.

I have taken several photo's with this new camera, all I can say is WOW!

Thanks everyone for your help on this!