Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Apr 30, 2006, 9:39 PM   #1

My Nikon 70-300mm has a distance scale, but in searching the internet, I can't find a definition for "distance scale." It has feet and meter designations. What does this scale mean? Thanks.
Webapprentice is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 1, 2006, 12:59 AM   #2

I'm fairly sure that it is to be used as a guide when using manual focus, as in how far you are away from the subject should roughly correspond to the distance on the scale
chelbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2006, 10:03 AM   #3

Thanks for the information. I notice that in Autofocus mode, this scale changes automatically independently of the barrel of the lens.
Old May 1, 2006, 11:11 AM   #4
DBB

Webapprentice wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for the information. I notice that in Autofocus mode, this scale changes automatically independently of the barrel of the lens.
If the camera is properly focused, then the distance should show up on the scale. The zoom aspect of your lens has nothing to do with this. Focus and zoom are separate mechanical systems.

Dave
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2006, 1:27 PM   #5

DBB wrote:
Quote:
If the camera is properly focused, then the distance should show up on the scale. The zoom aspect of your lens has nothing to do with this. Focus and zoom are separate mechanical systems.

Dave
But what does the distance scale mean mean in that case? Is it the distance to the focused subject, as the other person stated? If I'm shooting a couple of hundred feet across a small lake, the distance scale doesn't read a few hundred feet, so I don't understand what that means.
Old May 3, 2006, 2:46 PM   #6

The distance scale on lenses is used to determine the hyperfocal distance. A quick defintion of hyperfocal distance is

...the hyperfocal distance setting ... isa term that means the distance setting at any aperture that produces the greatest depth of field.

For an idea of how to use this scale, check out the following link:

http://www.dofmaster.com/hyperfocal.html#focusing

The distance scale has nothing to do with measuring focus based on how far you are from the subject, except for determining whether or not you subject is within the hyperfocal plane.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote