Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old May 3, 2006, 7:01 AM   #1
Lan

Hi,

I was wondering what sort of problem I have at the moment. I bought the above product(lens) for my Nikon D50. The lens fits properly but when I try to change the lock ring I get a fEE signal on my LCD display. In the trouble shooting it states to put the lock ring at minimum aperture. (largest f/-number).If the lock ring is in that position the camera works fine. Thing is, each time I try to turn the lock ring it won't let me take a photo. Have I purchased the wrong lens. Admittedly this is a second hand lense but it is in excellent condition and it fits my D50 like my other lenses it is an old model or old lens. Please help.

Kind regards,

Lan
Lan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 3, 2006, 7:16 AM   #2

You set the aperture ring to minimum aperture as you have done and leave it there. You then set the aperture you want on the camera via the command dial not on the lens. When you take the shot the camera automatically changes the aperture to the on set on the camera.

Whne you look through the viewfinder the aperture is wide open at the largest setting. When you take the shot the aperture is stopped down. If the lens is not set at minimum aperture it cannot be stopped down all the way. This is why the camera refuses to work with the lens set at anything other than minimum aperture. The latest lenses don't have an aperture ring at all.

Ken.
Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2006, 3:53 PM   #3

Remember, minimum aperature is the highest f/stop number, usually f/22 although sometimes higher.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2006, 6:48 PM   #4

Put it on f22 and leave it there. I have the Tamron 28-200 XR (IF) Zoom lens with the smaller front element. When it's on f22 it locks in place. Also there are a series of small round copper dots on the lens to the side that is mounted to the camera body. Those are the CPU connection for the camera to lens.

Mine works fine.

The Winemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2006, 8:11 PM   #5
Lan

Hi,

Thanks for all the help given, it puts my mind at ease. I was starting to think I bought the wrong lens or it was broken. But all is now understood.

Thanks kindly to all,

Lan
Lan is offline   Reply With Quote