Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old May 5, 2006, 7:41 AM   #1

A link from Mr Rockwells site on how he sets up a D50

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d50/d50-settings.htm

TD
tommysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 5, 2006, 8:54 PM   #2

"QUAL: I shoot Normal JPGs. This is called NORM and L on the top LCD, which stands for NORMal JPG compression and Large (3,008 x 2,000) image size. I'll use BASIC for parties and uncritical images, and FINE only for really important shots where I don't mind the big files."

Uhh..... Why buy a brand new DSLR and then not use the highest quality settings really...
The cost of a 2 gig mem stick (which will get you at least 700 pics on Fine) Is less than 1/4 of the cost of the camera...

He later mentions how he can't tell a difference but pictures come out half the size, Half the size = half the data, so theres obviously some compression going on there. I wouldn't chance losing any detail myself...
Lexiticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2006, 12:21 AM   #3

I posted the link because he gives a better explanation of settingsthan the Nikon manual,yes he does contradict himself a few times, and he is biased towards Nikon products.He has some good photoshop techniques that people should read and apply.

TD
tommysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2006, 1:02 AM   #4

Hey guys!!!

Well since Ken Rockwell is my mothers -fathers -brothers -cousins- dad... We are sorta kin and I like his reviews!!! Ok so Im lying on him being kinfolk but I do enjoy reading what he writes... I guess this probably sets us "learning modes" from the "pros". I see many more experienced "shooters" that dont care for Cousin Ken *lol* but hey he makes me understand better than the manual for sure!! tommysdad Muah!!! thanks for the link.. its now bookmarked in my "Tips" bookmarks...

I also agree with Lexiticus.... I shoot in Fine mode..JUST in case I do someday in the future...shoot the NewsWeek's Front Cover Photo of the Year Picture ... wouldn't it suck if I had it on normal mode instead and was turned down due to low quality *grins* ...hey i can dream can't i?

So...guys. Im straddling the fence... be nice to me ... I appreciate both of you and your help in showing me the *way*

smile :|

~debby~
learning_mode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2006, 11:27 AM   #5

Fine mode, fine mode, fine mode, fine mode fine mode - did i mention fine mode ?

Don't see the point of anything else, most people have big enough cards to give them 100+ pictures in fine mode (film users would have to change film at least twice to get that !!!!)

A few weeks ago I saw a woodpecker at some nuts.I had a 55-200 lens on the camera, so zoom wasn't that great but i caught the bird. I then did a very substantial crop and got a lovely picture and printed it out - perfect.I doubt that i could have cropped so heavily ifI had been in anything other than fine mode.

You just never know the moment.

another fine mode story !!!!!, a friend of mine was in Prague and took a brilliant night time picture of a bridge, beautifully lit up, it really was a nice capture. Anyway, he came across a competition in a magazine for nightime shots and he thought he had just the shot to win - sadly, he had put his camera in one of the lower modes (he has a 4MP camera) and there was not enough pixels there to do the resolution that the competition required for minimum file and picture size - shame. He now shoots everything in fine mode.
norm smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2006, 8:15 PM   #6

Yea I shoot everything in fine mode too. My main card is 2GB big no need to shoot in any other mode. With my backup card (1gb) my battery shouldrun out before I run out of memory.
globeguy is offline   Reply With Quote