Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old May 7, 2006, 5:25 PM   #11
Administrator

Yes, it would work.

But, reports on quality vary (it's not going to be up to the quality standard of most lenses).

As a general rule, the greater the focal range (difference between wide and long), the more compromises a manufacturer needs to make. So, you can't expect the kind of results you'd get by using lenses with less lofty design goals. But, if you're not planning on larger prints, and don't need a brighter lens, it would be one option.

There are multiple versions of the Tamron 28-300mm.

Here's the newest version:
http://www.tamron.com/lenses/prod/28300_di.asp

Here's one that's almost the same except for the newer coatings:
http://www.tamron.com/lenses/prod/a06.asp

Prior to these two, Tamron had other lenses with similar focal range and brightness (28-300mm f/3.5-6.3 as well as a 28-300mm f/3.8-6.3). But, the older versions were larger and heavier compared to the two newest ones (with XR designations) and used 72mm filters (versus 62mm for the two newer ones)..

None of them are anything to write home about optically from user reports I've seen (with a few exceptions). But, they are relatively small and light for their focal range.

Here's a review of the newest lens:

http://www.photo.net/equipment/tamro..._Di/index.html

Here's a review of the XR version without the newest coatings.

http://www.wlcastleman.com/equip/rev..._300/index.htm

Do the newer coatings make a big difference? I couldn't tell you.

Keep in mind that these lenses will appear to be 50% longer when used on a DSLR model. So, from an angle of view perspective, a 28-300mm would be like using a 42-450mm lens on a 35mm camera. So, you may decide that something wider would be better. In less than optimum lighting, you may need a tripod with something that long, too. Also, don't expect speedy autofocus using a lens like this (and don't expect good autofocus in less than optimum lighting as you go towards the longer end where it's dimmer).

The non-DI version of this lens (Tamron 28-300mm XR) pops up new in the box for around $149 often on Ebay from a few of the vendors selling them. For that matter, Cord Camera often has the Nikon D70 including this lens for around $899 new on Ebay.

Personally, I wouldn't want one. If I was going to go with a single lens, I'd probably look at the 18-200mm lenses instead (so, I'd have something starting out a bit wider).

One lens you may want to look at would be the new Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 VR (it's got Vibration Reduction built in). It's pretty hard to come by though (and it's a bit pricey at $750 when you can find it in stock).

There is a very long thread discussing the Tamron 28-300mm XR lens on KM DSLR models here (a couple of our KM DSLR owners decided to get them at $149 on Ebay). You could probably expect similar results using one on a Nikon DSLR.

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=84

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2006, 5:32 PM   #12

From reading what others said on this forum, I kind of got the idea that the multiplication factor was 1.5x.

Anyway, my point was that the use of one do-it-all lens is the best choice for a beginner/amateur photographer.Ken Rockwell said that heuses the Nikkor 18-200mm VR for 99% of the time. Not comparing the Nikkor VR 18-200mm with Sigma or Tamron 18-200, because it is clearly the better lens, but the fact remains: one does not need all those lenses when there is a lens that covers the same range. It is very hard to see the differences between the 18-200 and the 18-55/55-200... and, for the most part, those differences are not important for the average user.
zygh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2006, 6:07 PM   #13

Thanks for all the insight. I think what is best for me right now it to get the 2 lens kit, and just have fun taking pictures. Once I get a good feel for the camera, and take to many shots where, "I wish I had a longer lens" I will buy another lens.

Again thanks for all the input.

Cheers.

Furgus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2006, 3:27 PM   #14

Looks like I am going to pick up a D50 tonight. Can't wait to get it and post some pics.

Cheers.

Old May 11, 2006, 4:49 PM   #15

Furgus wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for all the insight. I think what is best for me right now it to get the 2 lens kit, and just have fun taking pictures. Once I get a good feel for the camera, and take to many shots where, "I wish I had a longer lens" I will buy another lens.

Again thanks for all the input.

Cheers.
Good choice. In terms of ecomomics vs performance this is a very good deal. People spend alot of time worrying over the initial lens purchases when they should worry about learning the basics of photography. Without understanding how the camera works, the lens choice means very little. A $700+ lens will not automatically improve your images. Most of the problems people experience are from user error, not lens issues. Most lens deficiencies disappear when stopped down a bit, and are hardly noticeable at typical print sizes (4x6, 5x7, 8x10). The dust issue is also a bit overblown...if your careful you won't have any major issues. Dust will eventually work its way onto the sensor even if you don't change lenses.

As you grow into your hobby and figure what you like to shoot, then you can drop some bigger bucks on some fancy glass.

Good Luck!!!
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2006, 9:53 PM   #16

Ok I got the camera, and I have one question, right now, why doesn't the continuous shooting mode work in auto? Am I doing something wrong? Can someone walk me through it?

Thanks.

Old May 12, 2006, 8:40 AM   #17

Nevermind my previous question. Found out the flash has to be off :-)