Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old May 7, 2006, 12:24 AM   #1

Hi Y'all. Been trolling around the boards for about a week now, and decided I better stop in an post something. I am looking at getting a D50 here in the next week or so, depending the kind of mood my wife is in I have right now a Kodak DX4900 and I love it, but in a recent trip to Disney, I was disappointed at the lack of control I have. I missed out on some great shots I think, so I think it is time to upgrade. I like to think I have a pretty good eye for photography, just not a lot of technical background. I have learned a lot from a lot of you just reading these boards, and I hope to put some pictures up after I get my new camera.

Cheers
Furgus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 7, 2006, 9:52 AM   #2

Well if you have read the various threads on this site about the D50 you will see that it is a highly rated bit of kit. I've got mine on order and should have it within the next week. If you do go for the D50, many people I've spoken to say it is a good idea to spend a few extra bucks and get the 18-70 lens instead of the standard 18-55 kit lens.
Shaun Geraghty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2006, 11:06 AM   #3

Hi Fergus,

You will love the responsive nature of the D50 - you won't miss many shots.
norm smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2006, 11:22 AM   #4
Administrator

Furgus wrote:
Quote:
Hi Y'all. Been trolling around the boards for about a week now, and decided I better stop in an post something.
Welcome to the forums and thanks for posting.

If I were you, I probably wouldn't use the phrase "trolling around the boards", as trolling has a different meaning than the one you intended. ;-)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2006, 11:34 AM   #5

I am fully aware of the term "trolling" just trying ot be a little funny:-)
I am no stragner to forums.

I think right now I am going to get the kit with the 55-200 and 18-55. Don't want to freak out the wife to much yet.

Cheers.
Old May 7, 2006, 12:27 PM   #6
Administrator

Just explain that you need a better camera to capture her beauty. :-)
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2006, 12:50 PM   #7

I have told her that, although when I told her I could take better pictures of our dog, she liked that more

Old May 7, 2006, 4:45 PM   #8

Will this lens fit on a d50? I am thinking I will just buy the body, then this lens, or the body with one lens kit and this.

Thanks
Old May 7, 2006, 5:04 PM   #9

Regarding the lense choices.

Furgus, you might be more happy with having only one lens instead of two. You can get the D50 body only and the Sigma or Tamron 18-200mm or, if wide angleisn't such a big thing for you, you might wanna look into the 28-300mm lens also provided by Sigma and Tamron alike, for a very reasonable price (less than that of the D50 with the 2 kit lenses). This will spare you of having to change lenses in the field and thus getting dust on the sensor. You might wanna check this alternative out.

zygh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2006, 5:21 PM   #10

Furgus, yes it will BUT due to the sensor size, the D50 multiplies the opitical effect of a lens by a factor of x1.6

so a 28 - 300 would become something like 42mm - 460mm

this is great at the zoom end but at the wide end - you might find 42mm too limiting. Lenses that are specifically designed for digitals start at around 17 0r 18mm rather than 28mm so that once the x1.6 factor is applied, the lens becomes a 28 to XXX lens.

The kit lenses are nice.

if you go down the single lens option of 18 - 200 (equates to 28 - 300mm) then remember, you have all the advantages of a single lens on your camera and you have all the disadvantages of a single lens on your camera:?

only you will know what suits you best
norm smith is offline   Reply With Quote