Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old May 15, 2006, 12:41 AM   #11
rey

Quote:
Ok, here's an unedited photo I took with my DSCH1, please see you can read the shutter count on the exif info.
I'm not familiar with this particular camera, but my guess is it doesn't use mechanical shutter, and therefore the shutter count is not really important. I thought you were talking about a dSLR. With dSLR the camera's weakest point is the mechanical shutter window since it's a moving part. When you get your D50, you should see the shutter actuation count.

Peace.

rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2006, 9:16 AM   #12

Thanks. I was hoping that was the fact. My demo D50 is due in Wednesday, and I want to check out the shutter count when it arrives. The DSCH1 is a P&S, so I guess that explains it. Sorry to be so "slow" but I'm a total newbie about dSLRs. (Kind of obvious)
SueSee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2006, 9:34 AM   #13

rey wrote:
Quote:
The camera keeps track of the shutter release count. It would showup on an image's exif file. Here's mine:

Is there any guideline about the number of shutter releases? Is it more prone to failure if the number is high? What would behigh number- 5 000, 10 000?

Thanks.
lokosofia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2006, 9:46 AM   #14

The higher the number the better. As the D50 is only an entry level camera, it will have a lower expected actuation value. I've heard the expected number is somewhere between 25,000 and 50,000 releases. Unless you're using this camera daily, under pro conditions, I doubt that you would ever have to worry about a failed shutter. Likely, you'll replace the camera before the shutter fails.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2006, 8:12 PM   #15

Rey, Thanks for your help on the exif info. My camera came in today, did a shutter count, only 68. Appreciate your help.
SueSee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2006, 5:37 PM   #16

Well, my Cameta D50 factory demo arrived on Tuesday just like they said it would. Appears to be in "new" condition except for a little grit or dirt in the ridges on the bottom of the camera. No dings or marks on it. They didn't include the cleaning cloth that was supposed to come with it, but no biggie, I emailed and they are going to send one. I checked my EXIF info to find that 650 shots had already been taken. I'm not sure how I feel about that. Here's my question: Cameta sells these as "Factory Demos" and states that "in most cases" they are salesman samples or display models and have never been owned by a consumer and have "minimal to no use." So is 650 shots minimal? I have also noticed that Cameta sells 5 or more of these demo d50's every day (I watched their auctions for 2 straight weeks before buying mine) so how many Salesman samples does Nikon have out there? And why are the salesman already sending their's back to the factory? Both my camera body and lens came in boxes that say "Nikon Refurbished Product. This product has been refurbished to Nikon Factory specifications by Nikon, Inc. and is covered by a ninety day warranty." Does all this sound legit to you? Should I take this up with Cameta or just focus on taking photographs? I've only taken about 60 pics so far and really love the camera. I'm also stoked with the 50mm 1.8 that I was able to afford with the money I saved...

Your opinions?

David

www.BeesKneesImaging.com

Bees Knees Imaging is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2006, 6:19 PM   #17

Again, i wouldn't worry about. 650 actuations is less than 3% of expected life (considering 25,000 actuations). In reality this camera is pretty close to new. For a demo camera this ain't bad. Think about it, that's 20 shots per day for a little over 30 days. You've got a lot of life left in the camera, the the extra lens you bought will last a lifetime.

It would be nice though to know how many actuations a camera has before buying it.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2006, 9:03 AM   #18

I also bought a D50 demo from Cameta, I had problems with the camera right out of the box, and Cameta was exceptional in exchanging it for me.

Now that I know how to look at the # of pics the camera had taken, the first camera had well over 2,000 and the new exchanged camera had only 200

What a difference!

zacm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2006, 2:37 PM   #19

:-)I I just got my demo D50 from Cameta and downloaded the OPANDA freeware. The total number of releases of my "factory demo" was 240. Not bad I say. I think they are a good deal especially as for $ 70 you can get a full three additional year warranty, so who cares. Steve

bossou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2006, 10:12 PM   #20

Thanks to everyone that has been posting on this topic. It has convinced me to stick with the factory demo from cameta and I should be joining all of yall in the DSLR world sometime this fall. (Hopefully before Austin City Limits Festival).
redmastadon is offline   Reply With Quote