Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old May 8, 2006, 7:56 PM   #1

Hello everyone.

This is my second post concerning the purchase of my D50. I checked out cameta auctions and it seemed like just the perfect place to buy, but when i read factory demo it gave me a sinking feeling in my stomach. I read more about it and learned that they are demos sent out to different companys for light testing and sent back to Nikon for any repairs before selling.

Is it worth the saved money, or should i kick out the few more hundred for a brand new camera?

Thanks.
redmastadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 8, 2006, 8:25 PM   #2

Greetings,

Well, I justordered a factory demo from Cameta about 30 minutes ago so I'll let you know how it goes. On this forum and others I have read mainly positive things about them so I decided to try them out and save a few dollars- though I obviously would have prefered new equipment and the better lens warranty. I got the D50 (factory demo) with the Nikon 18-55 for just under $490. With the money I saved I'll be picking up the Nikon 50mm f/1.8D and another SD card so that works for me. If you're unsure, try the forums at DPReview- many people there seem to have dealt with Cameta. Good Luck.

David

www.BeesKneesImaging.com

Bees Knees Imaging is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2006, 8:47 PM   #3
rey

Cameta is a reputable store. But that doesn't mean much when it comes to factory demos, as each camera is different.

I bought my stuff from Cameta brand new, and very happy with it. However, I recently read (on another forum) of a guy who bought a factory demo from them that had 30,000 actuations. The camera came with 90 day Nikon warranty, and the shutter failed within weeks of purchase, so he had to send it to Nikon for repair. The repair was under the 90-day warranty at the time.

The problem is, stores do not list the camera's actuation when they sell them. So be sure to check the firmware when you get the camera. Or not, since I don't know if you can return it, if you don't want the number of actuations on the camera. Again, it's a crapshoot, and hopefully you get lucky.

Good Luck!
rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2006, 10:05 PM   #4

Thank you, but i am brand new to digital slrs, so how exactly would i find out if the firmware was good or not?
redmastadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2006, 10:57 PM   #5
rey

The camera keeps track of the shutter release count. It would showup on an image's exif file. Here's mine:

Attached Images

Old May 9, 2006, 10:32 AM   #6

I purchased a factory demo from cameta as well, I'm expecting mine to arrive on Friday. I went ahead and got the additional 3 year Mack warranty just to be safe. I figure I'm still ahead price-wise. My plan is to use the D50 as a low-cost entry while I get good lenses and eventually move over to the D200. Getting the D200 with all the lenses was too much of a bit to chew at once. It could turn out that the D50 is all I need and I'll be all the happier. But the D50 from Cameta doesn't have to be mint to suit my needs.
eddie_dane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2006, 2:41 PM   #7

Did you buy the program? I've downloaded the OPanda program, and looked and the exif info on several photos. I can't locate the shutter actuation on any of them. I've also purchased a demo model of the D50 which should arrive next Wednesday. I saved around $200 by buying the demo, which I figured to put towards a good lens later. I'd like to check the shutter count when it arrives, but am now at a loss on how to do so. Any suggestions short of buying the OPanda program, since the free download gives all the other information? (IRFanview is also an excellent free viewer, which is what I generally use.)
SueSee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2006, 3:46 PM   #8
rey

No, I didn't pay for the program. It's free.

Why don't you post a pic with the exif file and I can check it out. Some editing tools strip some, or all the exif data, so make sure you are looking at the original image.

Old May 12, 2006, 4:49 PM   #9

Ok, will try to do so ASAP, but it's been quite a while since I've posted a photo on this site. So let me see what I can do. Will be back soon. Thanks for you help. (Don't expect much from the photo, will post one I've take a while back. :-) if I can figure out how to do so.
Old May 14, 2006, 6:31 PM   #10

Ok, here's an unedited photo I took with my DSCH1, please see you can read the shutter count on the exif info.