Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old May 12, 2006, 4:38 AM   #11

It is like comparing current model and last year model cars. Digital cameras get replaced with a new model which is better and cheaper every 2 years. D50 produce a little lower noises at ISO-200 than D70s at ISO-100. At ISO-200,300,400.800' and ISO-1600 itis a clear winner.

I think you will be better off buying the newer model (D50) which has newer technologies. D50 will give better quality pictures and it will cost you less. Why pay more for less? I think the 18-55 is a better lens than the 18-70. It is lighter and in themore useful focus range.

D50is a much more capable camera than the FZ5.
Attached Images

ruchai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2006, 6:35 AM   #12

Noise is not the only factor to compare (although a very important one for the casual user!!) 1st the D70s does not shoot at ISO 100.....it has the exact same range as the D50 (200-1600). The advantage it has is the ability for the user to select ISO's in between the full stops in 1/3 stop increments. This can be very useful in difficult lighting or studio conditions to give you more flexibility over aperature/shutter speed. Often times you may not need an Iso of 800...you may only need 600...the D70s allows you to do this (the user can only select the full stops on the D50 200, 400, 800, 1600), and will produce lower noise at that ISO than the D50 would at the higher ISO. You also have to consider that noise is also affected by exposure...proper exposure goes a long way to reducing noise in an image. Also again the ability to use the flash as a wireless commander is quite important for a more advanced user. Finally, the D70s was released around the same time the D50 was, although it was largely based on the D70 released earlier.

Don't get me wrong, I love the D50and use it often. But for critical, more exacting work the D70 offers more control and is the better tool, if only slightly. The casual/newbie photographer would be better off with the D50 though, as they would likely never use the extra bells and whistles.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2006, 7:52 AM   #13

Nobody knows the shutter lives of D50 vs D70.

Maybe 1~2 yrs later you browse this forum again then you will know

But since D50 was designed later than D70, I assume it's shutter should be more durable. As process technology improves, sometimes it's even more difficult to manufacture lower-quality products than more durable ones.

The reason I bought D50 was mainly because of the lighter weight.

I really don't quite need the extra features of D70, I will trade them for portability i.e.
- Depth-of-Field preview,
- On-camera tunable WB color temp.
- Independent Dial for Aperture

But I did have some regret:
- D70 kit lense 18-70mm is better than D50 18-55mm. Both image quality and zoom range are better
- Lack of panel LCD back-liting in D50.

big_potato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2006, 9:39 AM   #14

I agree that those better controls of the D70 are useful. I bought my D200 because of the more functions and easier to control of the D200.

D70s is just a minor change compare to D70. D50 is a new designe and likely to have newer technologies. I also like and use my D50 nearly every day but I like the D200 better.

I compared the 18-55 and the 18-70 at the dealer and think the 18-55 is a better lens. That 55-70 is not worth the extra weight and poorer performance. Ken Rockwell seems to think the same. rjseeney wrote:
Quote:
Noise is not the only factor to compare (although a very important one for the casual user!!) 1st the D70s does not shoot at ISO 100.....it has the exact same range as the D50 (200-1600). The advantage it has is the ability for the user to select ISO's in between the full stops in 1/3 stop increments. This can be very useful in difficult lighting or studio conditions to give you more flexibility over aperature/shutter speed. Often times you may not need an Iso of 800...you may only need 600...the D70s allows you to do this (the user can only select the full stops on the D50 200, 400, 800, 1600), and will produce lower noise at that ISO than the D50 would at the higher ISO. You also have to consider that noise is also affected by exposure...proper exposure goes a long way to reducing noise in an image. Also again the ability to use the flash as a wireless commander is quite important for a more advanced user. Finally, the D70s was released around the same time the D50 was, although it was largely based on the D70 released earlier.

Don't get me wrong, I love the D50and use it often. But for critical, more exacting work the D70 offers more control and is the better tool, if only slightly. The casual/newbie photographer would be better off with the D50 though, as they would likely never use the extra bells and whistles.
ruchai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2006, 6:16 PM   #15

well thanks everyone, i thikn im goign with a new d50 and most likely this used lens. Thanks for all your help
billybobbovine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2006, 7:28 PM   #16

Congratulations on your quick decision, no more struggling!

A picture taken with my D50 and Tamron 18-200mm of Hong Kong Victoria Harbor:

Attached Images

big_potato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2006, 9:16 PM   #17

That looks like a JPEG noise chart because the D50 has more noise than the Canon in RAW mode. Don't get me wrong, if anything, I'm biased in favor of Nikon. But Nikon is running 1-2 years behind Canon in the noise arena with equivalent sharpening.

JPEG in camera noise adjustments can make any camera look like a winner in this contest.
billferreira is offline   Reply With Quote