Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old May 11, 2006, 5:28 PM   #1

so i know the technical spec differences between the two bodies. From personal use, would it be worth to spend the extra fro the d70? Does the shutter supposedly last longer? is it sturdier? whats your opinion. thanks
billybobbovine is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 11, 2006, 5:39 PM   #2

The D70 has a few more bells and whistles. The flash can be used as a commander to control either a SB600 or SB800, and the user adjustable ISO in 1/3 stops are the key features for me. Also the illuminated LCD is a nice feature. On the other hand, the D50 has better low light performance at ISO 1600. If your doing studio work, the D70 is probably the better choice as it offers more control. If your a beginning photographer and for just general use, the D50 is probably the better choice. They are both entry level cameras and have similiar build quality and shutter life expectations.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2006, 5:55 PM   #3

im moving up from a panny fz5. I wouldnt consider myself a novice, but i am an amature who would like to improve upon my skill. its a hobby for me not a profession. I like landscape rather than inside shots, and most shots that i am going to do in low light i will use a tripod.
Old May 11, 2006, 7:37 PM   #4
rey

I was in your shoes a couple of months ago, and I decided it's not worth the extra money to get the D70s.

You're better off using the money to get better lens or an extra lens.
rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2006, 10:05 PM   #5

yea its hard cause its only about 70 or 75 dollar difference casue id buy a d70s w/ 18-70 for 855 shippped from beach camera. or a new d50 body for around 525 or 550 plus a 18-70 lens which is used only once from a neighbor for 230. or i coudl buy a "factory demo" d50 and 18-70mm from cametta for 639....tough decisions
Old May 11, 2006, 10:07 PM   #6

also what about lack of 2 dials and dof? do people miss that much?
Old May 11, 2006, 11:01 PM   #7

Two dials is nice, but DOF preview is virtually useless. The viewfinder is too dark unless you're shooting wide open, and since you can review the shot right away, you can correct errors in DOF quickly. DOF preview was needed in film, to help prevent wating frames. The only time I miss the second dial is when shooting in manual mode, which isn't often.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2006, 11:34 PM   #8

yea i was sorta figuring that. man i love this forum. probably the most nice and helpful ones ive been on. Thanks alot
Old May 12, 2006, 12:42 AM   #9
rey

I don't miss the extra dial either, like rjseeney says, it's only useful in Full Manual, and even in that mode, it's easy to hold one button and turn the dial to change the aperture. I was worried about the depth of field preview, but rjseeney is right, it's faster to just check it on the LCD. I usually zoom-in on images right after I take them, to check the critical areas.

With that being said, keep in mind that the D70s also comes with an LCD protector that you have to buy separately for the D50, so the cost difference is less than you think, assuming you are getting the 18-70 lens. Yeah, I'm making things harder for you :-)

However, regarding the lens, for the price of the 18-70, you can get the 18-55 kit lens and a tele zoom (either the 70-300 or 55-200) for less. I weight that decision and went with two lenses. It's yet another thing to consider.

Check out Cameta for packages:
http://stores.ebay.com/Cameta-Camera

Good Luck!

rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2006, 1:01 AM   #10

yea ive been looking at cameta for a while, i was gonna go refurb, but i just decided that i really just want it to be new, i dunno, its kinda silly in some ways cause i could save alot of money going refurb, but ya. and ive got my eyes set on that 18-70, not that the 18-55 is a bad lens, i just dont like the feel of it in my hand. Thanks for your help though.