Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old May 16, 2006, 4:49 AM   #11

Stratman wrote:
Quote:
ruchai:

I have been enjoyng your photographs for a while now. You have an economy and efficiency, as well as artistry,in both your pictures and words that I appreciate. Excellent!

I was wondering what would happen if you were to do post-processing on the pics of the wooden fish. Would the results further delineate the differences between the D200 and the D50? Also, what does your typical post-processing involve?

Thanks to you, and everyone else, for thewonderful pics posted.
My dad was an engineer, my two elder brothers were engineers, I was trained as an engineer and worked as an engineer. I retired in 1985 and stopped being engineer since. Difficult not to think of economy and efficiency. Thanks for reminding me. I try to do artistic works, hoping to washed off my engineering habits, started with learning to play piano with books from amazonbut completely failed. When the D50 was on the market I think taking pictures may be the kind of art that I may be able to do. I do it for fun and do not care if others like my pictures or not. I think I have an advantage over the pros who have to listen to their clients.:?

I shoot all my pictures in RAW + jpeg, use easy to load jpeg to cull unwanted pictures. I always use Nikon Capture4 to post process them. Usually I do very little post process. Enhance and may be sharpen, crop, reduced size and convert to jpeg foryje web. I am new with Capture4 and am still learning. I keep all my RAW files for when I am better with the software then I shall play with them again.

The two woodenfish pictures were taken in jpeg. If properly process I do not think you can see the differences.

I think D50 can make as good a photograph as D200. The reasons I bought D200 were:

1) My interest is wild birds. My Nikkor 80-400VR focusing was slow when using with D50. Playing with D200 and 80-400VR at Nikon dealer made me bought the camera.

2) 400 mm (600mm equivalent) is very good for wild birds but I thought I need 500 or 600mm in some occasions. Those big lenses are expensive and very heavy. It will make heavy (epensive) tripoda must. 10mp of the D200 will help me to be able to crop more. I think it's an advantage ofusing digital cameras.

If I cropped pictures of small birds I shall have bigger birds in my pictures as if I were using those big expensive heavy lenses. Yes I shall have to use tripod but not the very heavy one. The grains will be like pictures taken with 6mp cameras instead of 10mp camera. Like having a D50 with 500-600mm lens.:blah:

See these two pictures from the same original, the first one was as seen by D200 with 400mm lens. The second one was after cropped to 100% to get biggerbutterfly picture.

Attached Images

ruchai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2006, 4:50 AM   #12

This is 100% crop.
Attached Images

ruchai is offline   Reply With Quote