Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old May 16, 2006, 10:42 PM   #11

Perhaps a nice Kodak Instamatic?:roll:
The Winemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2006, 5:21 AM   #12

No, thank you!

I don't get it. Do you all think b/c I have no experience, that I would be, totally unable to learn it...geeeeesh! You all did! I simply did not know the lens didn't come with it...so I am learning..OK..were you all born knowing...No you had to learn too.

I have gotten help with the S2 and everyone that owns the S2 knows it sucks at action shots and it is not just my ignorance.

Show me a link to some great action shots taken with the S2 and I wont buy upwards.
S2&me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2006, 6:33 AM   #13

I don't think anyone is saying you can't learn. I think everyone is trying to help you understand that there is more to using a DSLR than pointing and shooting (at least to get the better results you expect) Using a DSLR requires more input and decisions from the user. And if you don't understand the basics (which i'm not sure you do), you should be prepared for to struggle a bit getting the results you expect. Besides understanding exposure (shutter speed, ISO, and aperature) you also need to know a little about post processing your images in a photo editing program. DSLR images are not as processed in camera and almost nearly image needs to be tweaked to give the photographer more control over the image.

Also, DSLR require a significant investment. Most only come with a kit lens...in the D50's case one that has a focal length of 18-55. This is less than 1/2 the reach you get with your S2, (although you get alot more on the wide end). If your shooting sports, (you mention action shots) this will not be nearly enough reach. This means the purchase of an additional lens which adds at least another $200 to your purchase price. Factor in a carrying bag, a large memory card, lens cleaning kit, external speedlight (for low light indoor shots..the onboard flash just isn't enough) and you have over $1000 invested. That's quite a bit of money for an item that will initially be frustrating to use. You also have to consider the size. A dslr is much larger, and if its inconvenient to carry the camera with you, then its a bad camera no matter how great it is or how much you pay for it.

If you have the time, patience and willingness to learn, then a DSLR is the way to go for image quality. At one point in time we all are newbies and had to learn. Be prepared though, and don't get rid of your S2. There are times when size and convienance are more important. I often use a point and shoot camera (A sony DSC-V3 or DSC-p92) because they are easier to carry and with effort I can get great image quality if I work at it. I haven't found a situation that point and shoots can't be used although.

Either way, good luck, and we can help if you need it.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2006, 10:01 AM   #14

rjseeney
You are so right...and I was a bit angered which pushed me to learn more. I found this site you all might want to show to someone like me...

http://www.morguefile.com/archive/cl....php?lesson=1#

There are a total of nine lessons. I will study these everyday till I understand it all. In the mean time I am not buying anything till I know what I am doing with what I have got.

And what I have found is Yes there are some good to great action shots with the S2, right here on this forum. So it is not the camara but the user's ignorance.

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...amp;forum_id=9

Thanks back to studying!!
PS
Sorry to have been such a brat! I will now eat my words...
Judy
Old May 17, 2006, 12:26 PM   #15
rey

Judy,

We're all here to learn from each other. I was a complete newbie just a few months ago and didn't know what a f-stop and aperture is. Most of the stuff I learned are from people in this site. I'm still learning new things everyday.

The lesson site you posted is pretty informative. I'll be sure to tell other newbies about it.

Here's another link that's been posted here, in case you haven't seen it:
http://www.canon.co.jp/Imaging/enjoydslr/index.html

rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2006, 3:00 PM   #16

Thanks for the links everyone...I have or am going to view them. Also thanks for the help.
Judy
Old May 18, 2006, 12:06 AM   #17

rey that was an awesome site...thanks so much!!
Old Jun 6, 2006, 9:41 PM   #18

I think he is not that far off. I was wondering if it would be possible to put a pin hole converter onto the front of the camera. They are basically a body cap with a precision pin hole poked into it. I have seen them for 35MM SLR's but have not found one for DSLR's I think it would be kind of fun. I was going to get a pin hole kit from a catalog I saw that came with chemicals for developing contact prints to show my children. But doing it digitally would simplify the processing.
miatapaul is offline   Reply With Quote