Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old May 12, 2006, 4:36 PM   #1

I was wondering if anyone has a link to see how the pictures will look with out the added lens...if this sounds kinda dumb well, I am new to the SLR's. I see great creamy pictures with the lens and that is all great but what if you just wont to shoot without a lens. I was wondering how great those are?
Thanks
Judy

S2&me is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 12, 2006, 5:32 PM   #2

I'm not sure what you are asking:?. You cannot shoot an image without a lens attached. Which "added lens" are you referring to??? DSLR's can accept a wide variety of lenses from fixed focal length primes to superzooms. All have their specific purpose(s). The casual shooter doesn't need a wide arsenal of lenses...one could choose an all in one superzoom (like the 18mm-200mm offerings from sigma or Nikon) or choose a couple lenses that cover these same focal ranges that will offer better performance but less conveinance.

You may want to do some more research before you jump into the DSLR world. One a whole they can produce better images, but you have to have some idea what you are doing and how things like aperature, shutter speed, and ISO (among other things) affect the final image. You'll also have to be prepared to do more post processing...DSLR images are processed less in camera to offer the photographer more control over the final image.

What current limitations does your current camera have, and why are you looking to upgrade. By providing this info, we'll be able to give you a better, more detailed response to steer you in the right direction.

Good Luck!!!
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2006, 5:44 PM   #3

Well I guess that shows how dumb I am than. But what I am meaning is, turn on the camera and snap a few photos with out putting on any extra lens except what's attached to the camera. EX: Like a point and shoot, turn on and shoot. I want to buy just the body and later on buy a lens at a time.

I hope I am making myself clear.

I currently own the Canon S2 IS and have a heck of a time getting any good action shots of my grandchildren. I know about upping the ISO but it produces waytoo much grain. Even in good lighting. So I thought I would just read and check out some Slrs I am still searching for the easiest for me use.

And no I don't have any DSLR knowledge or experience but I am trying too. The S2 is good at what it does but sports shots it is not...unless you or some one can lead me to the way howto....so I just decided to go with an DSLR.

Thanks for your time.

Judy

Old May 12, 2006, 6:49 PM   #4

With a DLSR the lens is removable. If you take off the lens there is no lens at all and it is not possible to take a picture. What a DSLR does is allow you to pick a lens that suits your style of photography or a range of lenses for different types of photography. When you buy a DSLR you would normally buy it with a lens and then buy additional lenses to extend the range of pictures you can take. Each time you use a different lens you first remove the current lens then fit the new lens.

Ken
Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2006, 7:56 PM   #5

OK, I totally understand. :GSo which lens comes with the D50? Surely you get a standard one:!:in the box, when you buy it.

So are you telling me??? if you only buy the body, you get no lens at all correct:roll:

Sorry for such dumb questions and Thanks for helping a newbie, I am trying to understand.

Judy
Old May 12, 2006, 9:01 PM   #6
rey

There are different packages of lenses, and yes, you can also buy just the body, in which case you will buy a separate lens. This is good if you don't like the kit with lens, or if you already have a lens, say from 35mm film SLRs.

There are two standard kit lens, one is the 18-55mm and the other is the 28-80mm.

And since you're a newbie, in case you don't know, with the D50 and most dSLRs, you cannot use the LCD in the back to compose your shot, like you can with point and shoot digital cameras, you have to use the eye piece.

rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2006, 10:21 PM   #7

Thanks Rey for your help, I did not know that...but I hardly ever used the LCD in the first place so that will not be a problem!

I'm looking on EBay and I might as well go ahead and buy the kits that they offer.

Thanks again
Judy
hmmm odd googles spellchecker seems stuck when using firefox on this message board.
Old May 13, 2006, 12:28 AM   #8

DSLR need some learning before you can produce good pictures with it. Buying a DSLR is like buying a piano not like buying an i-Pod, you will have to learn and do lots of practices. I suggest you see this excellent Nikon's tutorial movie before you decided on buying the D50.

http://www.nikondigitutor.com/eng/d50/index.shtml

ruchai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2006, 1:53 AM   #9

The light should focus on the sensor by the lens, so u can get the image. if not, you will get a picture of purely white or dark(if in a dark environment). but it's a good way to check if there is a bad pixel:|
dormiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2006, 12:27 PM   #10

I don't understand this. What is bad pixel?

dormiy wrote:
Quote:
The light should focus on the sensor by the lens, so u can get the image. if not, you will get a picture of purely white or dark(if in a dark environment). but it's a good way to check if there is a bad pixel:|