Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old May 13, 2006, 4:22 AM   #1

Had my D50 about 3 weeks now, so I thought I'd share a couple of the nicer shots I've taken so far with you. Any comments/criticism welcomed - I can take it!
I think they were all taken using idiot mode, I'm still a little unsure about which shutter speeds/aperture settings to use, so Auto will do me for now. Also, only the first image (my daughter) has been edited.

zacspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 13, 2006, 4:44 AM   #2

A good start. The next mode to try is P this is the same as Auto but allows you to make some changes. Rotate the rear command dial and it will change the shutter aperture combination while still keeping the exposure the same. This allows you to use a wide aperture (small fnumber like f4 or f2) which will give you a faster shuuter speed. This will stop moving subjects better but also give a shallower depth of field (the part of the picture from from to back that is in focus) or turn the dial the otherway and you get a slower shutter speed and a smaller aperture (larger fnumber such as F8 or F11) this gives a greater depth of field.

In the examples you've posted the portrait of your daughter has a shallow depth of field throwing the background out of focus. This works well in this shot as she is the point of interest and there is nothing in the background that you want to be able to see.

On the other hand the street scene and the bouys would have benifited from a smaller aperture maybe F11 which would have kept more of the resulting picture sharp.

Ken
Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2006, 5:14 AM   #3

Thanks for your input Ken, Its really appreciated. I'm really struggling with the small f number/large apperture bit - it all seems back to front to me :? I'm sure it'll come with time.
Old May 13, 2006, 6:43 AM   #4

It is all a bit back to front but they're actually fractions so 1/2 is bigger than 1/16.

A bit of trivia they are two interlocking sequences.

2 4 8 16 32

2.8 5.6 11 22

The others that you see are either 1/2 or 1/3 stops.

Ken
Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2006, 5:09 PM   #5

wow ....awwwwwwww adorable lady there... idiot mode.. ROFL boy I resemble that statement!!! :blah: I had seen someone mention for newbies to start slow ... so I'll take what they posted here for you and use it as well... thanks for sharing..they are beautiful pics... what lens did you use.

I stand amazed at how easy the D50 bells and whistles are to access... that alone makes these better than point and shoot... many of those "other" types have great options but you gotta go three deep to access them...

I love D50. Would love to get my hands on a D70s just to see what its like compared to this.... have a wonderful day and keep posting them pics...

:|debby
learning_mode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2006, 6:23 PM   #6

Hiya Debby,
AFAIK, all the above were shot using the 18-55mm lens that came with the camera. I picked up a Sigma 70-210mm lens too, but I've not really used it yet.
Old May 14, 2006, 11:01 AM   #7

Debby, maybe I missed it but did you ever get your baby repaired and returned. You seemed so forlorn without it. Which is very understandable.

Cheers,

OTC
Oldtimer Curt is offline   Reply With Quote