Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old May 13, 2006, 1:47 PM   #1

I just bought a D50. and I am having trouble with camera shake. I Guess I didn't know my hands shook that bad. Is there anything that can help me with this? I understand a tri-pod and a monopod will help that, but I can not take them everywhere. I saw a wrist type strap at the camera store the other day, that looks like it will help with a steadier grip. Will this go away once I get used to the weight?

Thanks All. This site has helped me out a lot.

Cheers.

Furgus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 13, 2006, 1:53 PM   #2

The first thing to do is make sure you are using a shutter speed that is at least 1/focal length. That is if you are shooting at 50mm, your shutter speed should be at least 1/60. You'll notice as your focal length gets longer it will require faster and faster shutter speeds to prevent camera shake. If you cannot get proper exposure, you will have to increase your ISO. Most people cannot handhold at focal lengths above 400mm, or shutter speeds below 1/40.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2006, 7:52 PM   #3

1/focal length was for film cameras,for DSLRit should be 1/(focal lengthX 1.5 ). So for 55mm lens you should have speed not less than 1/00!

Squeeze not just push the shutter button. Hold your breeze and slowly squeeze the shutter button.
ruchai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2006, 9:17 PM   #4

Pardon my ignorance but does the 1.5 factor only relate to the angle of view and not the magnification. If that is the case, shouldn't the 1/focal length still apply to digital?
billiedougie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2006, 9:40 PM   #5

Yes it still apply. The problem was with the lens makers. Most people switched to digital camerasbut lens makers still call 90mm lens a 60mm lens.

Actually it's 60 mm when use with 35mm film cameras and 90mm when use with digital cameras (Nikon).The 1.5 factor is for the smaller senors of digital when compared with 35mm films. As digital camerassizes areonly part of the 35mm film. You get more magnification so you get more shake.:-)
Old May 14, 2006, 1:46 AM   #6

Furgus, in most good light situations, you shouldn't really get shake most of the time.

The advice about shutter speed is bng on the money. you could try the following to get shake down and once you have shake under control, you can move on.

1. Put a short lens, rather than big zoom on the camera and shoot at wide angle rather than telephoto - this lets more light in.

2. Set to 'P' mode, this just ensures that by accident, you have not manually made adjustments that may cause shake.

3. Technique - brace yourself so you are still, brace the camera onto your face. Squeeze the button gently to half way for focus lock and then continue to squeze gentley.

4. If you still ned faster shutter speed - jack up the ISO, take it straight to 800 and see how that goes - notice what it does to your shutter speed.

5. if still having problem, go to 'S' mode, and while checking you shot out, take the shutter speed up by 1 step to double it(so a 1/125 would become 1/250).

6. Indoors, get your flash up and see the difference

noting what that info in your eyepiece says becomes central to understanding why your pictures turn out the way they do

resorting to tripods or image stablised lenses may for some types of shooting be needed but for a lot of general shots, the above should help

good luck - it is a superb camera
norm smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2006, 8:26 AM   #7

ruchai wrote:
Quote:
Yes it still apply. The problem was with the lens makers. Most people switched to digital camerasbut lens makers still call 90mm lens a 60mm lens.

Actually it's 60 mm when use with 35mm film cameras and 90mm when use with digital cameras (Nikon).The 1.5 factor is for the smaller senors of digital when compared with 35mm films. As digital camerassizes areonly part of the 35mm film. You get more magnification so you get more shake.:-)
Actually, the focal length doesn't change, only the field of view. Because the sensor size is smaller, you are actually viewing a crop (smaller portion). The focal length is a static measurement that cannot be changed. Everything is referrred to in 35mm terms because that was the standard for so long, people can use it as a point of reference. The image is not actually magnified by thelens (camera lenses do not magnify anything), the field of view is either narrowed or increased as the focal length increases or decreases relative to the size of the sensor.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2006, 8:06 PM   #8

Thanks for the explanation. I agree thatthe focal length do not change but when the 'cropped' portion is blown up to fill the screen the effect of shaking camera will be also blown up equal to as if taking with 35mm camera with longer focal length.
Old May 14, 2006, 8:24 PM   #9

When holding the camera make sure to tuck your elbows in. Helps stabalize your arms. I've found that made a huge difference for me.
Kewjoe is offline   Reply With Quote