Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old May 16, 2006, 8:48 AM   #11

I use Sandisk Ultra II 2GB and have used it to capacity with no corruption problems (well, 20 shots of spare space).

Most of the estimates of how many pictures fit are based on what the camera estimates - in reality you get more. The 2GB card shows 569 fine JPG shots when I put it in the camera, but I get closer to 700 - I cannot be too sure because I mixed some RAW in there as well.

Keith.

rey wrote:
Quote:
Has anyone who actually uses 2GB cards shot close to 2GB worth of pics? I'm curious if their images became corrupt.

Also, are there actually SD cards out there that are more than 2GB?
keith1200rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2006, 9:05 AM   #12

well the estimation is based on the assumption that all the jpegs are the largest possible size they could be. However in reality the way jpeg is compressed when there is a lot of the same color and saturation a lot of data is saved by not needing the complexity of a very diverse shot.
Quikster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2006, 10:47 AM   #13

Quikster wrote:
Quote:
I didn't quite get to 2gb but I did get around 1.5gb onto one card then I stopped for the day and unloaded.
Make sure if you've ever accessed the card using a card-reader, Windows has NOT created a Recycle Bin in the SD directory.

Otherwise, as you may have guessed, the "deleted" files are still occupying the Recycle Bin space i.e. ~ 0.5GB in your case.
big_potato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2006, 11:48 AM   #14

Sorry, its not that I couldn't get to 2gb its that I stopped about there with lots of space for more pictures but nothing to shoot.

big_potato wrote:
Quote:

Make sure if you've ever accessed the card using a card-reader, Windows has NOT created a Recycle Bin in the SD directory.

Otherwise, as you may have guessed, the "deleted" files are still occupying the Recycle Bin space i.e. ~ 0.5GB in your case.
Quikster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2006, 12:20 PM   #15

Quote:
Thanks for the explanation. I was wondering why the number on the display was bouncing around as I took a 6 pictures.WhenI firstturned the camera onthe display showedaround 493. Then it went into the three hundreds until it settled to 277 after I deleted the shots. I was never asked to format the card when first inserted.
Quote:
I found out using Opanda that my camera had already 13 shots after deducting the 6 shots I tookon it when i purchased it new. I had suspicion it was used.Someone probably returned it. The camera didn't ask to set it up when you first turn it on. I boughtthe D50locally since it was on sale. Everything looks new and the camera from what it seems works well so I will just keep it. I have 13 days to return it and a 2 month price match.
LastRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2006, 3:44 PM   #16

rey wrote:
Quote:
Has anyone who actually uses 2GB cards shot close to 2GB worth of pics?* I'm curious if their images became corrupt.

Also, are there actually SD cards out there that are more than 2GB?
I think I clearly remember Panasonic coming up with a 4GB SD card. I'm not entirely sure but I think other manufacturers may have come up with that too. Anyway, as far as I know, beyond 2GB, the camera requires to understand FAT32 and very very very few cameras at this point can do that. Anyways, I reckon it's better not to keep all your apples in one basket.

Speaking about corrupt files on the SD cards, my previous camera was the Panasonic FZ30 and with it I used an A-Data 2GB 150X SD card. On a trip to Austria I came very close to filling up that card (as I had no place to download the pics). Upon my return home, I found out that about 20-30 pics were missing and the card had corrupt files with weird characters. I asked a bunch of guys on another thread and they said that the problem is not the camera (which I didn't think in the first place). When I sold my FZ30, I sold the A-Data too. My point is, don't buy crappy cheap cards. It's always best to go with quality brands than regret later for loosing your precious shots, as I did.
Now, I'm waiting for a 2GB 133X Lexar. That, I hope will be a better deal than the A-Data.
zygh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2006, 11:25 PM   #17

I have a 2 gb transcend and haveno problems with it. It always predicts about 567 pics but last time i filled it to full capacity it held 751 pics. They were all at fine and large some were inside and some were out.

i also have the 2gb Ritek and have similar results with these and both have worked great for me.

these are the best pricesI have found any SD cards.

I would much rather invest in SD cards and have plenty of them than spend my money on a storege device unless it was a laptop computer

I always carry my laptop with me when i go out for a few days even tho i have enougth storage for around 1500 fine large pics

I have ran out of space before and i hate to have to go back and delete stuff to get new stuff so i would rather spend a little up front and be well prepared. Check these prices and load up on these 2 gb cards and shoot and shoot and shoot

Perry

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820163158

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820183184
TexasHillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote