Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old May 14, 2006, 10:24 PM   #1

SO im looking to buy a d50 and some new flash cards. Does anyone know if the kingston elite pro 2 gig cards work well? i assume they would but im just checking. Also how many photos do people usually get ona 1 or 2 gig card at large and fine? Im looking to take a few trips this summer and i cant decide if it would be better to spend my money on some new memory cards or to buy one of those devices that allow you to connect 2 usb devices. I know they are very slow, 25 minutes oor so per gig, but they are also cheaper and i have a 160 gb external drive. anywas thanks for your help
billybobbovine is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 14, 2006, 10:27 PM   #2

I use a 2 gb Transcend 150x card and it works fine and will hold ~570 in Large fine and ~270 in RAW
Quikster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2006, 3:45 AM   #3

1 Gb Ultra II Plus by Sandisk 284 shoots (Jpeg-Large/Fine ).
taolang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2006, 9:23 AM   #4

OK - Kingston Ultima 2GB @ 120x

No problems so far.

But to be honest, I use Sandisk UltraII 1GB on D50, MOST OF THE TIME.
Average 3MB/image, 1GB is adequate for 320 pictures for approx 1 week of my daily usage.

Kingston 2GB is mainly for my Kodak v550 which I primarily use for DC video (enough for 1 hour) and fast-snapshots.

big_potato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2006, 5:23 PM   #5

I'm a newbie to DSLR, purchased the D50 with 18-55mm lens kit, it also came with a 250mb Sandisk standard card. I realized it wouldn't hold much but was surprised in JPG normalmedium I can get about 236 frames. That seems perfect for training since I really haven't shot more the 30 or 40 shots at a time and then upload to computer. I have followed the manual's instructions that every time I replace the card in the camera I reformate it so I am thankful that the camera store I purchased from included a 256 card with the camera.

In looking at thesuggestions for approved cards on page 114 of the manual I see that 1Gig is the maximum card allowed but in this thread some of you are talking about a 2Gig card.

Would someone enlighten me on what is allowed and what isn't and what works and what doesn't? Has anyone used anything larger than 2Gig in a D50? If so what brand and what results?

I would imagine that for me, right now in my learning state, that the 250 is plenty not to mention the price was right on the card but I am in the market for larger card and just wanted someone's suggestion as to what to get.

Thanks guys for reading and replying to my post.

Rob
robwmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2006, 11:18 PM   #6

For learning the controls some that 236 on medium normal is ok, but that won't let you learn how to get the most out of your camera.

To do that you need to be able to see what the best results are which will be fine large next and then you can start messing with RAW files.

As to what you can officially use 1gb is the limit. However, I have personally used 2 2gb cards in it with no issues and this will allow you to have much higher image counts when you really need it.

Old May 16, 2006, 1:59 AM   #7
rey

Has anyone who actually uses 2GB cards shot close to 2GB worth of pics? I'm curious if their images became corrupt.

Also, are there actually SD cards out there that are more than 2GB?

rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2006, 2:14 AM   #8

I just picked up a D50 yesterday. I purchaseda 1GBKingston Ultimate 133X SD card. The display on top of the camera shows 277 shots with image quality on "fine" and image size on "large". Even though this card is not listed by Nikon. I found a couple reviews stating this information below.

[align=left]"When we first saw Kingston's press release on the ultimate SD memory cards we wondered what devices actually could match those ratings.After all, you may have the fastest card on the block, butif no camera or deviceis able to take advantage of it then what good is it? Much to our surprise we found that the Nikon D50 that is due out this month will take advantage of these new cards. "[/align]
LastRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2006, 3:16 AM   #9

LastRide wrote:
Quote:
The display on top of the camera shows 277 shots"

[align=left]"When we first saw Kingston's press release on the ultimate SD memory cards we wondered what devices actually could match those ratings.
[/align]
The 277 shots is of course estimate only. Bear in mind D50 6MP shot filesize ranges from about 200KB to 3.5MB, depending on complexity of the scene you are taking.

Even fast USB 2.0 CardReaders may NOT fully exploit the 133X speed (133 x 0.15MB/s = 20MB/s).

I timed my cardreader - the best speed it has given me so far is only 8MB/s (excluding the harddrive write time already).

Hi-speed SD cards are, in fact more useful in DC video.

E.g. My Kodak V550 would have "jerky" video recording, whenenver I use a card below 50x speed.

DSLR mostly have hi-speed buffer already. Even if you use continuous-shooting, the speed is quite independent from the SD speed.

big_potato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2006, 7:06 AM   #10

I didn't quite get to 2gb but I did get around 1.5gb onto one card then I stopped for the day and unloaded.