Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old May 15, 2006, 8:27 AM   #1

OK couple of quetions:

1) If I set the selector to P then the camera selects an optimum combination of shutter speed and aperture. If I rotate the command dial then the camera goes into P* mode and gives me different combinations of aperture and shutter speed. What I don't understand is which variable is being changed when I rotate the dial amnd how does P* mode differ therefore from that variable's priority mode? In other words, if in P mode turning the command dial changes the shutter speed and selects an aperture to match it then how does this differ from Shutter Priority mode?

2) In M mode as I adjust the shutter speed and aperture the EV scale appears in the viewfinder to warn me whether the photo will be under or over exposed. Now I understand that the objective is to get this scale to show approx zero using faster/slower shutter speed or wider/smaller aperture, but can't I just apply exposure compensation as I would in P, A or S modes? If so, the how do I achieve this given that the E/V button is being used to control aperture?

Apologies if these seem rather newbie questions, but the jump from P&S to dSLR is quite a big one!!
eeperman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 15, 2006, 11:52 AM   #2

eeperman wrote:
Quote:
OK couple of quetions:

1) If I set the selector to P then the camera selects an optimum combination of shutter speed and aperture. If I rotate the command dial then the camera goes into P* mode and gives me different combinations of aperture and shutter speed. What I don't understand is which variable is being changed when I rotate the dial amnd how does P* mode differ therefore from that variable's priority mode? In other words, if in P mode turning the command dial changes the shutter speed and selects an aperture to match it then how does this differ from Shutter Priority mode?
P* is program shift. Basically you are changing the exposure compensation to over or underexpose the camera's selected exposure parameters in 1/3 stop increments. This is done by pressing the +/_ button and rotating the dial. This is helpful in certain conditions when the cameras meter isn't quite on spot with exposure, such as backlit scenes, snow or beach scenes etc. This is different from shutter priority because the camera is giving you the exposure, but you're just tweaking it a little. You would use shutter priority if you want to shoot at a specific shutter speed, usually to ensure you stop action, or create a sense of motion. You select shutter speed and the camera picks an aperature.

Quote:
2) In M mode as I adjust the shutter speed and aperture the EV scale appears in the viewfinder to warn me whether the photo will be under or over exposed. Now I understand that the objective is to get this scale to show approx zero using faster/slower shutter speed or wider/smaller aperture, but can't I just apply exposure compensation as I would in P, A or S modes? If so, the how do I achieve this given that the E/V button is being used to control aperture?
EV compensation is not used in manual, because you are in control of both shutter speed and aperature. The camera offers no input into what you select, as you are in complete control. I rarely shoot in manual. THe only time to shoot in manual is if you are trying to achieve a specific effect, or for studio work using strobes, or in difficult lighting. Mostly I use aperature priority to determine my desired DOF and let the camera do the rest.

rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2006, 12:38 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply. I have played around a bit with the camera and have sort of answered my own questions.

1) When in P mode the camera is constantly adjusting the shutter speed and aperture to get me the perfectly exposed picture at 0EV. I can set + or - EV values as I choose and the camera will adjust the shutter/aperture combination to give me my desired level of exposure. When I rotate the command dial I put the camera into P* mode. The value that is variable is the shutter speed - dialing left slows it down and vice-versa. The camera continues to adjust the aperture to give me the selected exposure. So far, so Shutter Priority...
Where it differs from S mode is that the camera protects me from myself. Whereas the S mode would allow me to set a really fast exposure that would underexpose the photograph, the P* mode cannot be dialed beyond the point at which the photo would be under/over exposed. S mode warns you of this by displaying Lo or Hi, but still lets you take the picture. P* will not allow you to dial beyond the point at which the photo is over/under exposed.
Also, in S mode the shutter speed is fixed, only the aperture changes. If I point my camera at a very bright scene in P mode and spin the wheel to set the fastest shutter speed then that speed is not fixed. If I now move my camera to point at a dark scene the aperture value will open until it is at its widest and then give up and start slowing the shutter speed.

2) My problem here seemed to stem from a misconception that EV adjustment was something done "in camera" after the photo was taken. This is not the case. The EV value is merely an instruction to adjust the camera-set variable (i.e aperture in S mode, shutter speed in A mode or either in P/P* mode) to under or over expose the shot as necessary. You cannot make an EV adjustment in M mode because the camera has no variables under it's control. What it does do is advise in the viewfinder what the EV value of the photo you are about to take is and then leaves it to you to either adjust aperture/shutter speed or leave things as they are because you WANT the photo over/under-exposed.

Phew. Thanks guys, always nice to talk things through :?

Hope this helps Debby :-)
eeperman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2006, 3:18 PM   #4

Rofl!!! slides back to corner to lurk and absorb! I have a photographic memory ..I just dont have any film!!

:lol:debby
learning_mode is offline   Reply With Quote