Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old May 19, 2006, 10:28 AM   #1

I am looking into buying my first DSLR and I really was leaning toward the Nikon line. But I wish they had something between the D70 and the D200. Does anyone know if they have plans to come out with a DSLR to compete with Canon's 20D/30D? Something in the 8MP range?
scottdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 19, 2006, 10:39 AM   #2

They Do!!!!

It is a D-70 "S"

Ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2006, 11:49 AM   #3

In reality, the D200 isNikon's answer and direct competitor with the 20d/30d. In truth, you won't notice much difference from 6 to 8 mp.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2006, 8:12 PM   #4

scottdg wrote:
Quote:
I am looking into buying my first DSLR and I really was leaning toward the Nikon line. But I wish they had something between the D70 and the D200. Does anyone know if they have plans to come out with a DSLR to compete with Canon's 20D/30D? Something in the 8MP range?
Between D70 and D200 areD70s and may be D50. In my opinion both of theseshould be compare with Canon 20/30D.
The question is when will Canon come up with DSLR to compete with D50 and D200?

"Nikon has scooped three awards at the prestigious Technical Image Press Association (TIPA) awards 2006 with three top products earning best-in-class accolades. The Nikon D200 was named "Best D-SLR Expert in Europe 2006", the Nikon D50 won the "Best D-SLR Entry Level in Europe 2006" award and the AF-S VR Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED has been dubbed the "Best professional Lens in Europe 2006".
ruchai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2006, 7:37 AM   #5

It's not fair or entirely accurate to say the D70s is in between the D70 and D200. The D70s was a minor update to the D70, and in reality replaced the D70. The D70 is no longer being produced and I assume there are very few new D70 cameras even available. Only a few menu options changed, the BGLOD issue was addressed, the LCD size was increased and several other changes were made. The D70 and D70s are virtually the same camera.
Old May 22, 2006, 8:52 AM   #6

I can see the wish for something between the D70s and D200. I don't think the problem stems as much from a need for another camera to fill the gap as much as the D70s not being enough to fill the gap between the D50 and D200. The D50 is an amazing entry level DSLR, much better than the Digital Rebel and I chose it over the Digital Rebel XT regardless of MP due to the feel, better ISO performance, and more glass available. The D200 Offers a large step up not only in MP but in complexity and advanced features. The D70s falls much too closely to the D50 to bridge the gap between the D50 entry-level consumer dSLR and the D200 which is more like an entry-level pro dSLR. When the D70 ran its course instead of a mild update it should have been replaced with a "D80" with all the updates the D70s got plus 8mp resolution. This would have rounded out the lineup much better and given the D70 replacement alot more differentiation from the D50. I have a feeling more "D80"would have been sold than D70s', especially since a firmware updated D70 basicly becomes a D70s. I know there was nothing that really made me want to buy a D70s when I bought my D50, but a "D80" might have pushed me to spend the extra money.
Stephen Hopkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2006, 9:54 AM   #7

The D70s was released about a year after the D70. Nikon's life cycle is usually between 24-36 months. There really wasn't a need to replace the D70 at that time. The D100's replacement (the D200) was the big focus as the D70(s) still fit a need. Of course now it is beginning to get a bit long in the tooth. I think the replacement for the D70 will find its way into the market late summer early fall. Nikon is predicting a large increase in sales for the second half of Fiscal 2007...this is likely to come from a new DSLR release, likely the the D70's replacement. Another signal is that the D70s is getting harder and harder to find. Best Buys, Circuit City's, etc have been out of stock for some time now (I have been looking for an additional body).

Nikon is a bit more aggressive in their engineering than Canon. When they release new products, they often incorporate high end features from their higher end cameras into their lower end that tend. The D70 was as feature rich as the D100 (minus build quality and a few odds and ends) and the D50 was as good as if not better than the D70. I think the D70's replacement will incorporate alot of the goodies from the D200 and provide alot of bang for the buck.
Old May 22, 2006, 11:10 AM   #8

What you're saying makes alot of sense and I'll love to see the D70 replacement. That said, given their normal 24-36 month life cycle wouldn't it have made more sense at the time the D70s was released to hold off and maybe 6 months ago introduced a "D80" 8mp camera? Seems like it would fit better between the D50 and D200, especially since whenever the D70s replacement (I keep calling it the "D80") does come out Q3 this year then the D50 replacement will probably be Q1 or Q2 of 2007 and again cut into sales of the "D80" because it will likely lack tons of differentiation from the newer & less expensive model.
Stephen Hopkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2006, 1:10 PM   #9

Unfortunately the D70 suffered from a lot of quality control issues (Just say BGLOD to any D70 owner or google it....). I think alot of the "release" of the D70s was to alleviate concerns about the D70 and was more a marketing move than the release of a new product.

In terms of lower priced cameras having many of their older higher end brothers features, that's just the way Nikon does business. They are about engineering. One coud say why buy the D2x when the D200 does most of what the higher end D2x does. Not saying its right or wrong, but they do offer excellent value/feature set in their lower end/entry level cameras, more so than Canon, who's entry level offerings generally are a bit more crippled when comparing to the higher end.
Old May 22, 2006, 5:21 PM   #10

I agree totally with you.

The D50 is an amazing entry level camera and so cheap too

Stephen Hopkins wrote:
Quote:
I can see the wish for something between the D70s and D200. I don't think the problem stems as much from a need for another camera to fill the gap as much as the D70s not being enough to fill the gap between the D50 and D200. The D50 is an amazing entry level DSLR, much better than the Digital Rebel and I chose it over the Digital Rebel XT regardless of MP due to the feel, better ISO performance, and more glass available. The D200 Offers a large step up not only in MP but in complexity and advanced features. The D70s falls much too closely to the D50 to bridge the gap between the D50 entry-level consumer dSLR and the D200 which is more like an entry-level pro dSLR. When the D70 ran its course instead of a mild update it should have been replaced with a "D80" with all the updates the D70s got plus 8mp resolution. This would have rounded out the lineup much better and given the D70 replacement alot more differentiation from the D50. I have a feeling more "D80"would have been sold than D70s', especially since a firmware updated D70 basicly becomes a D70s. I know there was nothing that really made me want to buy a D70s when I bought my D50, but a "D80" might have pushed me to spend the extra money.
guillermovilas is offline   Reply With Quote