Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old May 20, 2006, 7:06 PM   #1

On the dpreview it shows that they were able to get a 18 second buffer @ 2.5fps with the d50, but mine I can only get 12 seconds, how did they do this? Is it with just a faster SD card?
jeri534 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 20, 2006, 8:35 PM   #2

my main concern is with raw shooting, it says after the 4 shot burst that I should be able to get 1 frame a second, but my camera is only putting out about 1 frame every 2 seconds or so which is very slow...

what could be the cause of this?
jeri534 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2006, 8:38 PM   #3

1. Time Length of Buffer

Well, if you talking about JPEG, I guess that "length" of the buffer really depends on the image sizes.

Were you shooting very complex scenes?

(larger jpeg files => slower processing time)

2. SD Speed

I think independent of SD speed. It may just take longer time to write ***the whole buffer of images***, after each session of continuous shots.

i.e. you'll wait longer for the transfer to SD to complete after each session of continuous shots.

Just my stupid opinions

p.s.

We posted almost around the same time. Didn't read your 2nd post to supplement the RAW requirement,

big_potato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2006, 9:30 PM   #4
Administrator

jeri534 wrote:
Quote:
On the dpreview it shows that they were able to get a 18 second buffer @ 2.5fps with the d50, but mine I can only get 12 seconds, how did they do this? Is it with just a faster SD card?
[snip]

Quote:
my main concern is with raw shooting, it says after the 4 shot burst that I should be able to get 1 frame a second, but my camera is only putting out about 1 frame every 2 seconds or so which is very slow...
Phil over at dpreview trested it at one frame every 1.4 seconds in raw after the buffer was full (which I wouldn't consider to be slow).

The D50 uses a compressed .nef format for raw. So, raw files aren't as large as they are with some models. That helps out write speed to media, even though some models test bettter from a MB/Second perspective.

The D50 write time to media maxes out at around 3.6 MB/Second shooting in raw with a fast card according to Rob Galbraith's tests:

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/mul...?cid=6007-7905

Rob only tested relatively fast cards. So, if you're using a slower card, write times will be impacted.

Ditto for JPEG. The camera is writing to media at the same time you're shooting. So, with a slower card, you'll fill up the buffer faster (and the camera will slow some after the buffer is full). That's likely the reason Phil showed a longer burst than you're getting.

Unless you *really* need more for sports, etc., I wouldn't worry about it too much. If you need faster than you're getting, a faster card is probably in order.

If you already have a card that's as fast, one common mistake some users make when testing performance is doing it with slower shutter speeds. If your shutter speeds are slower (due to lower light/camera settings), that can skew your test results.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote