Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old May 22, 2006, 12:11 AM   #1

So I was taking some pics last night in manual mode, but I had the aperture stopped down to about f/20 so everything would be nice and clear, the little focus dot was flashing when I press the shutter halfway, but it wouldnt let me take the shot...is there a way to get it so I can force it to take the shot?

The only way Ive found th at will force it is to hold the AE/F-L, or to move the focus ring and it will shoot.
jeri534 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 22, 2006, 12:27 AM   #2

Manual focus also turn off AF
jtgraphics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2006, 12:28 AM   #3

theres no other way to force it with AF on?
jeri534 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2006, 1:03 AM   #4
rey

I don't think there is way to force it in Auto Focus mode. I mean, it wouldn't make sense. You just have to use Manual Focus to force it.
rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2006, 2:20 AM   #5

Manual Focusing serves exactly your pupose.

What's wrong with MF they suggested above?

[edited]

Your lens doesn't support MF?

big_potato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2006, 7:28 AM   #6

Unless you're outside in bright light, you need very good lighting in order to get proper exposure. The pop up flash will not be enough. Very little light is getting in a that aperature which also makes AF difficult. Mf focus is probably the best choice at that aperature. Also unless you're shooting macro, it probably is not neccessary to stop the lens down that far. You begin to run into issues like diffraction that affect image quality. F/11 should be sufficient to get everything reasonably in focus.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2006, 10:20 AM   #7

jeri,

I guess you meant:

1. D50 was not focusing FAST ENOUGH when you wanted to shoot BEFORE the subject had been in focus already.

OR

2. D50 could NOT focus AT ALL, might be due to low-light condition as rjseeney suggested.

In either case, I personally feel the D50 has been very good (speed & accuracy) in AF already.

Besides decreassing to F/11 as rjseeney suggested, or MF, I have a 3rd option from my experience:

A. Zoom-in the subject to make it larger first to make it easier to focus.
B. Half-press the shutter to hold the focus.
C. Zoom-out back to the desirable focal length

Also you may focus at the sharp / high-contrast clothes e.g. collars, of the subjects first. In my experience, human skins are more difficult for AF than sharp / colorful clothes. Of course provided they are so close to the faces of the subject.

big_potato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2006, 12:21 PM   #8
rey

Read-up on Hyperfocal Distance. My guess is you're probably focusing in a far enough object that the contrast is so low that the AF couldn't focus. Hyperfocal Distance can give you an idea on where to focus close to you, at a wider aperture to get reasonable focus throughout the image.

rey is offline   Reply With Quote