Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old May 22, 2006, 7:34 PM   #1

Hello to you all. I am about to buy the Sigma 70-300 DG APO lens for my D50 but I'd prefer to have some insight on the Nikon 55-200 before doing so. I do like the 18-55 cause it bears the Nikon name, it gives photos with fairly good quality, well to my eye. I may be wrong though...Is the 55-200 better built and delivers better photos than the Sigma? I read god reviews here but just want to confort myself a bit in my next purchase if it's doable. Thanks a million times. Germain
Karmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 23, 2006, 7:50 AM   #2

I havent used the Nikon 55-200 lens but I have a Sigma 70-300 APO DG Macro lens to accompany my Nikon 18-70 lens for my D50. Admittedly I havent used it a lot yet (I've had the camera for less than 2 weeks) but it seems an excellent bit of kit. Sharp pictures and still pretty stable even at 300mm.
Shaun Geraghty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2006, 8:54 AM   #3

The 55-200 is better than or equal to any consumer grade telezoom such as the Sigma you mention. The Nikon lens is smaller, focuses faster and is optimized for digital use. The Sigma will be heavier and have more distortion especially on the tele end of the zoom. The previous poster mentions the stability of the lens...that is not a function of the lens as it is not VR enabled. Stability in a consumer grade non Vr lens is a function of technique and the photographers ability to stay steady, as well as selecting fast enough shutter speeds. The only advantage the sigma has is the extra reach; however, the difference between 200mm and 300mm is very small and not likely to make much of a difference. You won't be able to shoot many birds or other objects that require great length with consistent resultswith either of these lenses.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2006, 2:33 PM   #4

My D50 should arrive tomorrow and have the 18-55 lens but need a tele as well and have considered the Sigma over the Nikon only because of the nice sharp image samples I have seen on pbase.com. Unfortunately, there weren't many for the 55-200 that looked too good and the number of images were quite low as well so not too much I can compare with.

I will be taking Indy and F1 pictures this year and there were samples of very nice and sharp F1 pictures with the Sigma 70-300 that is making me lean toward the purchase of the Sigma. Will the 55-200 give me the same results?
takuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2006, 3:36 PM   #5

I wouldn't get too hung up on those posted images comparing lenses. At the small web/monitor viewing size, most images that are competantly exposed and executed will look good. Technique and the photographers ability have as much to do with image quality as the lens when your viewing consumer grade lens images. In fact, I doubt that the average person could detect lens deficincies at even normal print sizes. The Nikon is lighter, smaller and will focus quicker than the sigma, which is a pretty big lens. The difference between 200mm and 300m is not a whole lot either.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2006, 4:18 PM   #6

Germain,

The "hot" lens appears to be the 18-200VR from Nikon.

Read a glowing account here:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/nikkor.htm

The wider angles of this lens will come in very handy. A lot of people consider it to be the perfect "all around" lens to keep attached to the camera. The VR really works.

They're a bit hard to find right now and are priced right around $750.

reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2006, 6:46 PM   #7

My D50 came a day early! Will be picking up after work at UPS. Thanks for the advice with the lens. I think I will go with the Nikon 55-200mm.

rjseeney wrote:
Quote:
I wouldn't get too hung up on those posted images comparing lenses. At the small web/monitor viewing size, most images that are competantly exposed and executed will look good. Technique and the photographers ability have as much to do with image quality as the lens when your viewing consumer grade lens images. In fact, I doubt that the average person could detect lens deficincies at even normal print sizes. The Nikon is lighter, smaller and will focus quicker than the sigma, which is a pretty big lens. The difference between 200mm and 300m is not a whole lot either.
Old May 23, 2006, 7:21 PM   #8
mao

I have the Sigma 70-300 APO DG and it seems quite sharp. The focus is not as fast as the Nikon 55-200, but the reach and semi-macro feature is nice. I still long for more reach....guess it depends on what you shoot. Mark
mao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2006, 11:18 PM   #9

Thanks for your input as well, I appreciate it.

mao wrote:
Quote:
I have the Sigma 70-300 APO DG and it seems quite sharp. The focus is not as fast as the Nikon 55-200, but the reach and semi-macro feature is nice. I still long for more reach....guess it depends on what you shoot. Mark
Old May 24, 2006, 12:29 AM   #10
rey

I currently have the Nikon 70-300G and very happy with it, considering it was a steal (or close to it). Between the Nikon 55-200 and Sigma 70-300 DG APO Macro, I've seen excellent pictures produced by the two, and I would probably get the Sigma for it's better Macro feature.

Oh, yeah check these out also:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=66

rey is offline   Reply With Quote