Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old May 24, 2006, 10:52 PM   #1

I have been looking online and the sb600 has caught my eye. I like doing macro stuff and want to get a macro lens for a d50. I have a few choices. I am either looking at just the Sigma 150mm HSM, or the Sigma 105, or the Nikkor 60mm . if i bougt the 150, i coudltn afford a flash, but with teh other two i have enough to afford the flash. Would a flash like this be any good for macro work or woudl it cast a shadow? Would defusing the flash help with the shadow? Sorry im new to flash guns, so excuse my questions. Do people that have them use them alot? And what do you use them for when you do?
billybobbovine is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 25, 2006, 6:23 AM   #2

Direct on camera flash is usually a bit harsh for macro, even when using a hotshoe flash. The SB800 can be tilted down -.7 degrees which helps a bit, but the SB600 does not have this feature. I usually use two flashes for macro, a sb800 on board, and a sb600 set up wirelessly firing into a reflector to provide even lighting.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2006, 5:32 PM   #3

I use a manual ring flash for macro shots. I just use the little table on the back of the flash for setting the camera and it works well. They are not that expensive and provide even light. I bought mine used and have had it forever. I also have an SB600, I have used it with a diffuser and a SC-17 sync cord to get the flash off the camera for product shots with good results. I use a 50mm Sigma macro lens and it takes all the bug pictures I like but I wish it was a bit longer for some of the more skittish creatures. I think I will get a 105 macro when I get more camera $$$.
ReneB3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2006, 5:33 AM   #4

billybobbovine wrote:
Quote:
I have been looking online and the sb600 has caught my eye. I like doing macro stuff and want to get a macro lens for a d50. I have a few choices. I am either looking at just the Sigma 150mm HSM, or the Sigma 105, or the Nikkor 60mm . if i bougt the 150, i coudltn afford a flash, but with teh other two i have enough to afford the flash. Would a flash like this be any good for macro work or woudl it cast a shadow? Would defusing the flash help with the shadow? Sorry im new to flash guns, so excuse my questions. Do people that have them use them alot? And what do you use them for when you do?
billybobbovine : For Macro pic you can use any one you like, you can develop a good pic with experience. I recently got the Sigma 105 mm f2.8 for my work and is good for any type of macro pic. and for light you can use a ring light, The new Nikon set is wonderfull but expensive. I use the Digi-Slave L Ring Ultra ll Ring Light, this unit has leds light and you can shot as continuos light or as aflash. http://www.srelectronics.com/ Here is a example.
Attached Images

Carlitin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2006, 5:35 AM   #5

more examples
Attached Images

Carlitin is offline   Reply With Quote