Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old May 26, 2006, 9:34 PM   #11

My combination is:

1. Nikon D50 DSLR w/ 18-200mm all-round lense, for picture quality, long-zoom, and fast response.

2. Kodak v550 for fast snapshot (in some occasions where you can NOT point the monster D50 at the crowd) & video.

v550 video is really superb in that it has OPTICALLY ZOOMable mpeg-4 movie capture.

And in my opinion, although not as sharp as D50, the v550 produces colors sometimes much more vivid than D50, especially for plants and foods.

So virtually a DSLR plus a DV for me.
big_potato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2006, 3:34 AM   #12

Well, as of yet I am using only the D50 but since there are places and ocasions where I cannot carry it, I'm thinking of getting the Fujifilm F10 or F11. Btw, does anyone know of a place where you can get either of those cheap?
zygh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2006, 8:51 AM   #13

For Christmas I got my fiance a Nikon 4100. It's shirt pocketable, uses SD, 4.1mp and does a pretty good job. The 4600 (current or just replaced model) can be had for $100 or less on ebay and online. I had been carrying it to amusement parks and other places the bulk of the D50 might not be desirable but I've recently become a bit more serious and plan on taking my D50 anywhere unless it might get destroyed (white-water trip coming up in a couple of weeks, i doubt i'll take the D50 on the boat). If I end up gettin a P&S for myself it'll be a tough call between a compact w/ 5x or 6x zoom (looking at the Panasonic LZ2/LZ3/LZ5) or a 12x super-zoom w/ VR/IR/OS/IS (the Panasonic FZ7 looks like a steal, would fit in a coat pocket, but not in a shirt pocket).
Stephen Hopkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2006, 9:29 AM   #14

Stephen, from my experience with Panasonic FZ30, I can tell you that those are absolutely excellent digicams if it wasn't for the terrible noise. Snapshots are infested with noise from anything butexcellent lighting conditions and above ISO 80-100.
Old Jun 1, 2006, 10:47 AM   #15

To be honest, I feel FZ30 is too close to D50 in terms of functions and ....

weight & size.

So not quite useful to complement the bulky D50.

Remember the topic host billybobbovine was asking for suggestions of "a small pocketable camera".

Just my stupid opinion
big_potato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2006, 10:59 AM   #16

Right, it's just that in my opinion, I would never touch another Panasonic again.
Old Jun 1, 2006, 4:02 PM   #17

well i own the fz5, and the noise isnt too bad, sure i cant shoot at 200iso, but at 80 & 100 pictures, are quite sharp and colors are vibrant, it also does better macro at themoment than anything i own for my d50. The panys are good cameras, and eys the fz30 has noise issues, but honestly everything is going to seem noisy if your coming from a dSLR. and if your looking for snapshots rather than masterpieces, then noise isnt as much as a concern
billybobbovine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2006, 11:19 PM   #18

You're right the FZ30 does nearly match the D50 in size. It's more of a pro-sumer model than a normal p&s. But depending on the definition of "pocketable" the FZ7 or FZ5 might work. They would fit in a coat pocket but not a shirt pocket. If I couldn't afford a dSLR or for some reason couldn't justify the weight I would go back to a super-zoom p&s like the FZ7, Kodack P850, Fuji S5500, or the like. The FZ7 is the most pocketable of those 3, has VR/IS/OS, and has an improved high ISO mode (though still not up to dSLR standards, the sensor is still p&s size).
Stephen Hopkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2006, 12:08 AM   #19

I would be interested to see what the new Venus III engine can do on the FZ7 at higher ISO.