Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old May 25, 2006, 8:08 PM   #1

so what do people use as a small pocketable camera for like social parties and that sorta stuff? Im looking for someting cheap(under 200) and yea. Thanks
billybobbovine is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 25, 2006, 11:12 PM   #2

I use a Casio Exilim Z120

Though since I got my D50 i havne't touched it, Even for parties I just carry around my D50 and the 50mm F1.8.
Small lens, and with a camera bag I'm not really worried about it

If I was getting drunk I might think twice though hehe.

But as of now the Z120 is mainly a skiing cam (where the bulk of the D50 and the potential for moisture to damage it is my main concern)

bought mine on boxing day for 249 CAD, so its probably even cheaper now.
Lexiticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2006, 4:44 AM   #3

Sony P120.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...aCathedral.jpg

Keith.
keith1200rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2006, 7:34 AM   #4

I have two Sony's...the DSCV-3 which is just barely pocketable (if I have big pockets), which I use if I need quality but can't bring all my gear, and a small DSC-P93 which is great for social events, amusement parks, etc.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2006, 9:06 AM   #5

Lex,

You made the comment

(where the bulk of the D50 and the potential for moisture to damage it is my main concern)

We go boating often and take a ton of photo's, skiing, tubing etc. This is my first DSLR camera(D50) do you recommend that I purchase a different camera for this use? I am starting to find out that the DSLR's are not meant for general use.

zacm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2006, 9:53 AM   #6

I use a Canon S400, very high quality and uses compact flash so it can share with my D70s.
ReneB3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2006, 10:00 AM   #7

zacm wrote:
Quote:
Lex,

You made the comment

(where the bulk of the D50 and the potential for moisture to damage it is my main concern)

We go boating often and take a ton of photo's, skiing, tubing etc. This is my first DSLR camera(D50) do you recommend that I purchase a different camera for this use? I am starting to find out that the DSLR's are not meant for general use.

As long as you take a few steps, your camera will be fine. There are many plastic, baggie type camera protectors available. You can check on Ebay, or at any of the major camera dealers to find them. Also, although I'm not a fan of "protective filters", boating (especially in saltwater) is a good time to use them. As long as you keep the camera dry, you should be good to go.
Old May 26, 2006, 5:21 PM   #8

yea i m kinda looking to do the whole getting smahed and take pictures thing. but im wondering, a couple of you are using sony cams, im wondering why the decision to go that way? i know they are great cameras, my parents have 2 and they are nice, but they use memory sticks, whihc are more expensive and cant be shared with the nikon range.
billybobbovine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2006, 5:42 PM   #9

No memory is that expensive now so memory stick isn't really an issue. Sony compact cameras have fairly quick focusing and low noise. Zeiss lenses aren't too bad either. Smart Li-Ion batteries have good life and reliable indication.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...C03652crop.jpg

Keith.

keith1200rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2006, 6:34 PM   #10

billybobbovine wrote:
Quote:
yea i m kinda looking to do the whole getting smahed and take pictures thing. but im wondering, a couple of you are using sony cams, im wondering why the decision to go that way? i know they are great cameras, my parents have 2 and they are nice, but they use memory sticks, whihc are more expensive and cant be shared with the nikon range.
Memory sticks are no more expensive than any other form of memory. All formats are within a few bucks of each other. This is a misconception that used to be true, but no longer applies. However, people continue to perpetuate theidea that memory sticks are over priced. In terms of being proprietary,nobody seems to be bothered that Fuji and Olyare the only ones that use XD cards. Also the DSC-V3 uses CF cards as well as memory sticks. I also prefer the info lithium battery. It's long lasting and provides infoto the minuteas to how much life is remaining.In terms of accessories, the HVL-32 flash is an outstanding flash unit.

I'm also not in the habit of sharing memory sticks between cameras anyway. All my cameras have their own memory. Besides, Nikon P&S cameras and the D50 use SD, while the other DSLR's use CF,......so even some Nikon cameras can't share memory.

Finally, the video modes on the Sony camera's are outstanding, and I prefer how the cameras render color in the images.