Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old May 27, 2006, 11:37 AM   #11

miracle wrote:
Quote:
Thank you for your information on the telephoto and wide angle lens Ken. I leaned a lot from it. After reading comments from you and ruchai, i probably would hang on to my kit lens for a while first, learn with practice and then make furthur purchases.

From your comment, i got the feeling that 12-24 is more practical than telephoto lens. Is that correct? I mean for everydday use, 12-24 would be better suited for most occasions,right?

The 18-55 is probably best suited for most occassions.

Attached is a 12mm shot
Attached Images

Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2006, 11:47 AM   #12

This is a 22mm shot is it better no just different and gives you an idea of the range of the lens.

Standing in the same place you might envisage a completly different shot and need a different lens to acheive it. It's not about which lens is best it's about knowing what kind of pictures you want to take and having the right lens for the job.

Probably the best way to approach it is use the kit lens until you find the kind of shot you're missing most. If you feel that you are missing big vistas because the kit lens doesn't go wide enough then look at a wide angle lens. If on the otherhand you're missing out on detail because you can't get close enough then you need a telephoto. There'll be examples of both I'm sure but you'll probably find one bugs you more than the other.

Ken
Attached Images

Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2006, 4:19 PM   #13

Thank you for your input, Ken. I think you are absolutely right. I've decided to do just what you recommended, practice and learn with my kit lens first and see what kinda shots that i'm missing the most.
miracle is offline   Reply With Quote