Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old May 27, 2006, 3:38 AM   #1

I'm new to SLR camera and just bought my first DSLR Nikon D50 a couple of days ago. It came with a 18-55mm lens. I loved the picture i've taken and the lens seemed to be great. However, i'm going to Greece for my graduation trip in 10 days and want to take lots of pics with my camera. After reading some threads in the forum I'm worried that this lens may not have enough reach for me to take outdoor shots. I will mostly take landscape(sunset) and beach shots.

Now i'm considering buying Nikon 55-200mm or 70-300mmG or Sigma 70-300 Apo. The problem is i don't want to carry a tripod around on my trip and was wondering if it's possible to shoot pic handheld when using telephoto lens. Also, I read someone say that a wide angle lens(eg.Tokina 12-24mm) is better for landscape. Which is more important, have the wide angle or long reach, when taking landscape shots?

I really know nothing about photography and eager to learn. So please fill me in with all your explanations and suggestions. Your help will be much appreciated. thanks
miracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 27, 2006, 4:40 AM   #2

ruchai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2006, 4:41 AM   #3

In the good old days most people, armature and professional alike, use camera with just one lens. I used to travel around the world with a Leica lllf with a single 50mm lens. Many people did that 30 years ago. The 18-55 kit lens is a very good all around lens. Very good for landscapes and portrait. You will have to learn more to use such lenses as 12-24 or 200mm. I suggest you go with your D50 and the 18-55 and you will be able to take most if not all of the pictures you want to. After you have more experiences and know what kind of photos you want to shoot, then youcan start thinking of additional lenses.

This picture wastaken with 18-55 kit lens.

Attached Images

Old May 27, 2006, 5:34 AM   #4

The 18-55 is a good all round lens. Sometimes though it's just not possible to get far enough away from or close enough to your subject to get the shot you want. At the telephoto end digital can help because depending on how you plan to use the picture you can crop it to give the impression on being closer. I'm not sure how Ruchai created the shot he posted it's either a crop from a single frame or a panorama created from several frames which is a way you can create a wider shot using digital, for best results a tripod is required.

In general you can hand hold the camera with a telephoto lens but you need to keep the shutter speed high. With the 70-300 at the 300mm end you'd want at least 1/250 and would be better at 1/500.

A wide angle lens is generally considered best for landscape as it allows you to include more of the view. However it depends on the view and what you want to include. Sunsets at the beach will be fine on the 18-55. If you wanted to shoot at the Parthenon then a wide angle might be better because it would allow you to include more in a single frame without having to move too far away. On the other hand a telephoto would allow you to pick out details where you can't get close enough with the 18-55. I have a collection of lenses that go from 12-300mm I use them all at different times depending on the subject but the 12-24 gets the most use.

Ken
Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2006, 6:03 AM   #5

Thank you very much for your advice,ruchai. As you said, i probably need to learn better with my 18-55mm before i go furthur with a telephoto or wide angle lens. The picture you posted looks great! If 18-55mm can produce this kind of quality landscape shot then i really don't have any reason to rush into buying any more lens yet because i probably won't even know how to handle them and deliver the picture quality that i wanted.

Now i'm leaning towards going my kit lens, unless an unbelievable offer comes up.
Old May 27, 2006, 6:08 AM   #6

Thank you for your information on the telephoto and wide angle lens Ken. I leaned a lot from it. After reading comments from you and ruchai, i probably would hang on to my kit lens for a while first, learn with practice and then make furthur purchases.

From your comment, i got the feeling that 12-24 is more practical than telephoto lens. Is that correct? I mean for everydday use, 12-24 would be better suited for most occasions,right?
Old May 27, 2006, 7:02 AM   #7

The picture was taken with 18-55 and was set at some whatmore than 18mm. I did not remember but I did zoom in a bit to avoid dark zone on the left. Yes, I cropped the top and bottom parts of the picture out.

I live by the lake and when the water rise in the rainy season the view could be fantastic. I read about 12-24 super wide angle lens and was thinking of buying one for the lake pictures. So I took out the never used 18-55 kit lens and tried it. I do not think I need the super wide like 12-24. Even 18mm is too wide for this picture.
Old May 27, 2006, 7:26 AM   #8

This was taken with a Nikon D70s and a Nikon 70-300D at about 220mm F8 1/320 handheld in the stands. Si follows Nagasaki's rule of focal lenght and shutter speedand they come out fine. Good luck on your trip!
Attached Images

ReneB3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2006, 8:39 AM   #9

ruchai, did you stich that image up? it seems to be too wide for the 18-55mm to handle.
zygh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2006, 9:28 AM   #10

zygh wrote:
Quote:
ruchai, did you stich that image up? it seems to be too wide for the 18-55mm to handle.
No stiching. I just cropped the top and bottom parts of the original picture.

Nikon sellthe very good D50 and 18-55at a very low price. Do not think we are smarter than Nikon for getting such bargain. Nikon know there will be many point and shoot casual photographersconvert toDSLR. Nikon want them to get the under priced D50so they will later upgrade to D200 and thoseexpensive Nikkor lenses. I did just that when I boughtmy D200after 9,000 shots with the D50.

By the way the picture was taken with D200 and 18-55mm kit lens.