Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old May 27, 2006, 7:08 PM   #11

The Nikon just sat better in my hand...the Canon feels as though you are pinching it, the Nikon fills your whole hand. I also find a thumb wheel much easier to manipulate than a finger wheel.

But it is a personal thing. Go to your local camera store and try them both out...
eeperman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2006, 10:38 PM   #12

As a newbie, I just wanted to add this bit of info as well.

If you have never owned an SLR camera before, make certain you have plenty of time and patients in getting acustomed to using it.

I made the jump from a standardPoint and Shoot camera and ended up very frustrated. It's been afew weeks now and I still don't have a clue as to what I am doing. Of course I don't have a great deal of spare time to sit down and learn either. The pics are getting better everyday though!

I do like my D50.

Could somebody explain all the hype on the 18-55mm lens? I have two Tamrons, 18-70mm and the 70-300mm. They seem okay, but maybe could be better.??? How does the Tamron 18-70mm compare to the 18-55mm?

Thanks
zacm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2006, 11:26 PM   #13

zacm wrote:
Quote:
As a newbie, I just wanted to add this bit of info as well.

If you have never owned an SLR camera before, make certain you have plenty of time and patients in getting accustomed to using it.

I made the jump from a standardPoint and Shoot camera and ended up very frustrated. It's been afew weeks now and I still don't have a clue as to what I am doing. Of course I don't have a great deal of spare time to sit down and learn either. The pics are getting better everyday though!

I do like my D50.

Could somebody explain all the hype on the 18-55mm lens? I have two Tamrons, 18-70mm and the 70-300mm. They seem okay, but maybe could be better.??? How does the Tamron 18-70mm compare to the 18-55mm?

Thanks
As you know that it take time, lots of time to learn how to use a DSLR. D50 is a very user friendly camera but you still have to learn. You bought a piano not an i-Pod. You will have to do lots of practices before you will hear the musics. If you think it is a pain to learn go back to your point and shoot. There is nothing wrong with point and shoot cameras, with DSLR you are able to take difficult photos which could not be done with point and shoot cameras.

I suggest you read "Mastering DigitalSLR Photography" by David D. Busch, I got mine from amazon.com.

After several thousand shots you will be able to use the D50 capabilities. Do not waste your time looking for extra lenses, the problem is your inexperiences not the kit lens. You will be able tomake great pidctures after your first 10,000 shots.

ruchai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2006, 3:21 AM   #14

@zacm
I agree with ruchai. Actually the camera and the lens does not matter. I ordered a 18-200mm lens because I wanted to avoid changing lenses outside (Wish DSLR could come with extra shutter just to avoid getting dust inside while changing lens). So, a walkaround lens would be my primary lens). If you are intend to shoot close ups, a micro nikkor is preferable, if it is too expensive(it is for me) use adapters. You can also read this:
http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/notcamera.htm

Swedson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2006, 8:13 AM   #15

That was a good article. Hit the nail right on the head.
ReneB3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2006, 9:57 PM   #16

Thanks everyone!! I bought a d50 today with the single lens. I intend to buy either a tamron or sigma?? 18 to 200 for my every day lens. I also need to get a case to keep it safe, if anyone has any recommendations on the case it would be great. I guess I am leaning toward a hard case but whatever you all think.

Thanks again!

Mike
Moosetache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2006, 8:03 AM   #17

Moosetache wrote:
Quote:
Thanks everyone!! I bought a d50 today with the single lens. I intend to buy either a tamron or sigma?? 18 to 200 for my every day lens. I also need to get a case to keep it safe, if anyone has any recommendations on the case it would be great. I guess I am leaning toward a hard case but whatever you all think.

Thanks again!

Mike
Mike, to me a hard case is uncomfortable to carry. I bought a Lowepro AW5 which s a shoulder abg and can hold up to 2 cameras and lots of lenses, flash and accessories. They make a sling bag which is a combo backpack/shoulder bag. Whether to buy Sigma or Tamron is pretty subjective, IMO. Also seems to be pretty much a body brand issue as well. Sigma has had a historical issue regarding getting it right with minolta, although some (myself included) have had good luck with their lenses. My current walk around lens is a Tamron 280300 (for KM). The non DI models are being closed out for less than 1/2 price; don't know if the same deals are available for Nikon, but Google Cameta Camera and Cord Camera to see.
cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2006, 8:56 AM   #18

Swedson wrote:
Quote:
@zacm
I agree with ruchai. Actually the camera and the lens does not matter. I ordered a 18-200mm lens because I wanted to avoid changing lenses outside (Wish DSLR could come with extra shutter just to avoid getting dust inside while changing lens). So, a walkaround lens would be my primary lens). If you are intend to shoot close ups, a micro nikkor is preferable, if it is too expensive(it is for me) use adapters. You can also read this:
http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/notcamera.htm

The whole dust issue is overblown. Cleaning is easy, and even monor dust can be cleaned up in post, and is only really visible at small aperatures. Using just one lens will not eliminate dust. Dust will eventually work its way onto the sensor even if you never change lenses. P&S digicams get dust on the sensor and their lenses are fixed to the camera!! An extra shutter would not prevent dust from getting on the sensor. That shutter would have to open at some point in time (like taking pictures!!) and any dust it trapped would likely end up on the sensor anyway. As long as you're careful, dust will not be an issue.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2006, 8:38 PM   #19

Nikon Thailand will clean your sensor for free while the camera is still under warranty.
ruchai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2006, 10:12 AM   #20

Ditto all of the above really. I was torn between the Rebel (EOS350D here in Europe) and the D50, but the D50 felt much better in my hands. I'm also using a Sigma 70-300 APO DG lens which would weigh the 350D down at the front I feel. I also read reviews saying the "out of camera" shots from the Canon can be a little on the soft side, leaving a little sharpening in Photoshop etc to be done afterwards. Having said that, a friend of mine recently bought a 350D and is already getting excellent results. I'm pleased I went for the D50 though even though I am still trying to learn how to use it properly.
Shaun Geraghty is offline   Reply With Quote