Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old May 27, 2006, 7:25 AM   #1

Hi, and thanks for any help you all can give me. My wife scrap books a lot and would like to get a dslr camera, and I am heading out to Africa and would love to bring a nice camera with me. I have narrowed it down to either the rebel and the d50. We have looked at both cameras the rebel is smaller and lighter, and as you all know it has 8mp vs 6 mp. The price difference is about $100. I read the reviews on this site, and Steve seems to like both of them so I guess my question ends up being why did you all buy the nikon instead of the canon?

Thanks again.

Mike
Moosetache is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 27, 2006, 8:01 AM   #2

For me it was the Nikon lens that I already had from my film days. I did have some Canon equipment but it was all manual focus. The 8mp vs 6mp didn't make that much of a difference to me. I bought the D70s because it used compact flash. I had a few 1G from my Canon S400 and it made sence to share. I also like the size of compact flash. The LCD screen on the top of the bodywas a plus as well. So for me the answer was easy. For you if you don't have anything invested in either camp I think the Rebel sounds like the way to go. They are both Steve's "best amature DSLRs".
ReneB3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2006, 8:19 AM   #3

For me it was my collection of nikon lenses from film days, and build quality. The rebel, is too small, and was missing spot metering so i stuck with nikon.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2006, 10:59 AM   #4

1) Nikon has spot meter Canon did not. For birding a camera without spot meter is useless.

2) 6 and 8 meg-pic is not an issue, very small difference.

3) D50 is better built.

4) D50 and D200 are made in Thailand where I live, Cannon services here are not acceptable consider number of printers in my garage that no one want to fix.

5) Weight of the body is not total weight, weight with lenses are more important.

6) I use my camera for birding. Canon distributers did not have 400mm lensavailable when I compare the two cameras. They did not know when the lens will be available. Nikon have the lens I want in stock.

7) I glad Ibought theD50 in July last year. I now upgraded to my new D200 which I think is the best camera in the world. I love it.
ruchai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2006, 11:25 AM   #5

8. Many of my friends and especially my brother have been Nikon users and some even since film era. So a lot of accessories, lenses and experience to exchange.

9. Similar to many opinions above - D50 is better built.

10. D50 was among the lowest-cost DSLR (similar to those Pentax). I took the purchasing philosophy from my friends: you'd better spend more on good quality lenses, than those luxuriious features on the DSLR body, especially if your budget is limited like mine. So D50 was the minimalists' choice.
big_potato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2006, 11:48 AM   #6

since the film era?? you make me feel old as a mummy, and I'm barely a quarter of a century

I just went for the nikon d50. there's the stuff I own from my film n65, sure, but I could sell that and go for new canon stuff. but the lens quality is an issue, and www.slrgear.com shows the canon kit 18-55 is worse than even the not-so-good 18-55 that comes with the standard d50 outfit. and build quality is also an issue... I'm not gonna be buying a new camera every year, so I want mine to last at least a few years. 8mp is ok, though image quality is influenced by many other factor which are usually better with the d50, such as noise (specially at high isos), and it onlt means a 15% gain in resolution. finally, I don't think the extra 100 bucks and the things you lose are worth it.

in other words: yup, I'm in this forum cause I had to make that choice as well, and I went for the d50.

needless to say, it's always a personal and subjective choice, and you should compare features and handling to make your final decision. good luck!
kezs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2006, 1:12 PM   #7
rey

I bought the RebXT, used it for six weeks, and then returned it... (thanks to Costco's liberal return policy). I looked at the RebXT because my friend has the original DigRebel. I found that the RebXT is too small for my hand. I know they used "small size" as a selling point, as it works well with P&S cameras. But with dSLRs, you have to think about the whole weight. And with RebXT, the weight was not balanced when using a relatively heavier lens--I had my friend's 24-85 USM on it.

I took it hiking several times and my wrist was just sore afterwards. The Camera tend to tip down since the body is very light compare to the lens.

Anyways, I returned it, started my research from scratch, and ended up buying the D50. I'm very happy with it.

rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2006, 1:54 PM   #8

Sorry kezs , pls forgive my poor English.

Before the digital age, I knew nothing about photography. So those great photographic techniques back in the good-old-days when film was the only medium, sounds legendary enough to me. So I termed it "film era" to show my respect for it.

BTW just heard that a few days ago, Canon had just been the last optical giant to annouce that it will stop the development of film-SLR

rey ,

So what did you do with the Canon lenses, when you switched to the Nikon camp, or are you still using some other Canon DSLR?

big_potato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2006, 1:57 PM   #9
rey

It was my friend's lens.
rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2006, 2:43 PM   #10

I bought D50 because I got it for a great bargain. I still have my F60 home and the lenses I used with it. So, it was an advantage for choosing Nikon. I felt Rebel XT (350D in Europe) more plastic and it too small. D50 fits perfect in my hand. As I was used with F60, it was easier for me to use Nikon. Having a DSLR is great as you can do as much as experiment you want. I could see the real difference with Spot, Matrix and Center Weighted metering only after buying this DSLR. I was thinking that Matrix metering is the best but many of the photos I took could have been better if I would have used Spot metering.
Swedson is offline   Reply With Quote