Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old May 27, 2006, 6:54 AM   #1

Hi,
Finally going digital, Minolta isn't making it easy, so I'm selling up and going nikon.
Because this isn't going to be a cheap change over, I can't afford the D200.

I have come across a Nikon USA factory demo D100 and a new D70's for roughly the same price.
Any thoughts on factory demos, and on how the two cameras compare?

Many Thanks for help you can give me

Peter
macejka76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 27, 2006, 7:21 AM   #2
Administrator

Peter:

If you've already got an investment in Minolta glass, you can still find the Konica Minolta 5D and 7D.

Adorama has the best deal going right now.

They've got the Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D for $899, including a 28-75mm f/2.8 lens. That lens alone sells for almost $400 (it's $379 at B&H). Even if you don't want/need a lens this good, this 7D kit is such a good deal, I'd get it anyway and sell the lens on Ebay.

http://www.adorama.com/IMN7DK1.html

Konica Minolta decided to exit the camera business. So, you can find some pretty good deals on remaining stock. Adorama is about the only dealer I know of that even has any 7D bodies left (as least bodies intended for sale in the U.S.). You may find some brick and mortar stores that still have some in stock though (local Ritz/Wolf stores, etc.).

Sonyacquired some of their DSLR related assets and will be releasing DSLR models that can use Minolta Autofocus lenses this summer (and Minolta has manufactured 16 Million lenses in this mount since 1985). Sony and Konica Minolta have been working together on Sony branded DSLR models since July 2005 (long before KM and Sony reached a deal on Sony acquiring some of KM's assets).

http://www.steves-digicams.com/digin....html#sony_slr

In the interim, supply has almost dried up on KM DSLRs.

Part of the arrangementwith KM is that Sonyis taking over warranty work. So, you wouldn't need to worry about that part if you experienced a failure.

Sony Support for Konica Minolta Cameras, Lenses and Accessories

BTW, Sony has announced it's intent tocapture more than 25% of theDSLR market within the next few years.Only time will tell if they can succeed (and if so, they'll be taking marketshare away from other manufacturers).

I personally think that a KM DSLR is the best deal going if you like low light shooting, since you've got anti-shake built in that works with every lens, along with ISO speeds through ISO 3200. But, I'm biased since I'm using a KM DSLR (I've got a Maxxum 5D).

KM DSLRs are getting pretty hard to come by right now, though. So, if you wait too long, you'll probably have to wait on Sony to release their DSLR models if you want a model with built in anti-shake that works with your existing lenses.

So, I wouldn't jump to Nikon just because KM is exiting the camera business if you already have an investment in Minolta gear.

The 7D is a very nice camera that is a steal at some of the prices I'm seeing for it. This camera sold for $100 more than the Canon EOS-20D when it was first introduced, and it was selling for $600 more than the Nikon D70. It's got class leading ergonomics, viewfinder and control layout, and it's in body anti-shake works with all of your lenses, including bright primes.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2006, 7:38 AM   #3

Hi Jim,
I understand your point to view, but theres some much that doesn't seem to be compatible with the 7D/5D.
I've got to 3500xi, 5400HS, 1200 macro flashes and the remote flash controller, all of which will only work manually, and as we've talked about in the Minolta forum the macro flash is a big problem. I haven't found any third party macro flash that don't fire at full power and I can't get the new minolta flash controller.

The glass I own is not so great 28-105xi, 100-300xi. The 24mm sigma which I don't think I would use that much as a 36mm on the 7D.

The only dilema I have is three good lenses. Sigma 15-30mm, 105mm 2.8 macro sigma and 500mm 7.2 sigma.

I guess that's why I'm fed up with Minolta.

Peter
Old May 27, 2006, 7:52 AM   #4
Administrator

The main reason for flash problems is that sensors used in Digital Cameras are too reflective to meter from, like you could do with film (using off the film metering). So, manufacturers redesigned their flash systems for Digital, since these systems need a metering preflash.

You see the same issues with other manufacturers, too (needing new strobes to take advantage of the latest TTL modes used in Digital).

I wouldn't let a litttle thing like not being able to use your old strobes influence you too much. There are alternatives available and you'd need to buy strobes if you went to another system.

Heck, you can buy a Sunpak Macro Ring Light for around $100 used that has one auto aperture range, as well as manual power settings. B&H has some in stock now:

Used Sunpak Macro Ring Flash listings at B&H

You could also try to find a new MFC-1000 controller for your existing Macro Flash on the used market. The new MFC-1000 controller is compatible with the KM DSLR models and your existing Minolta ring flash. Sony may also have this same controller available. I'd wait a few weeks and see what the product line is going to look like. Chances are, they've had some of the same Minolta accessories rolling off the assembly lines for months, rebranded as Sony.

You don't take marketshare away from competitors by not offering a complete line with strobes, lenses and accessories. Also, given the number of cameras Sony is likely to be shipping, I'd expect better support from third party manufacturers in the future, too.

Old May 27, 2006, 8:15 AM   #5
Administrator

P.S. -- It looks like Wal-Mart got their hands on some of the remaining 7D stock, too. This just came to my attention:

Maxxum 7D with 18-70mm f/3.5-5.6 DT lens (5D kit lens) for $699 at Wal-Mart

This body alone was selling for around $1,500 when it was introduced. Now, you can get it for less than half of that amount while supply lasts at dealers that have them. ;-)

P.S. -- If you haven't held and used a 7D, I'd try to find one and try it out in person. It's a well designed camera.

BTW, here are some good articles on the KM 7D that you may want to read through by Mike Johnston (a professinal photographer and writer):

He was so impressed with his 7D that he devotedsome of hisweekly Sunday Morning Photographer articles to it (a discontinued series now, but Mike was writing this weekly column for a long time).

Catch the Rave!

The Tale told by Two Pictures

Old May 28, 2006, 9:20 AM   #6

If you do decide on Nikon I'd go with the D70s. Although comapred to the D100 it appears to be a budget model in most respects it's an upgrade. It's newer technology and Nikon really didn't skimp on features when designing the D70.
Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2006, 10:34 AM   #7
Administrator

Sorry, I didn't answer your question.

I just hate to see you switch systems, just because your strobes won't work with newer Konica Minolta DSLR models, especially since Sony will probably have accessories available very soon.

Actually, your ring flash will work. You just need the newer flash controller. Unfortunately, a lot of "panic buying" has taken place since the Sony/KM announcements. As a result, some items are pretty hard to find right now.

I wouldn't be surprised to find out that accessories rebranded as Sony have been rolling off the assembly lines for months. I'd give it a little longer to see what Sony will be providing. Chances are, product announcements will hit sometime within the next couple of weeks, and I wouldn't be surprised to see accessories shipping to dealers immediately thereafter.

If I had to guess, they'll retain the macro flash system (I've seen rumours from people already, claiming it was listed in the Alpha product brochure). We'll have to wait for announcements to see, since you can't believe everything you hear from the rumour mill.

You may even want to get on the waiting list for the KM branded version of the new macro controller, just in case B&H gets any in. For example, they recently notified customers that they had the 5600HS (D) back in stock. But, it sold out in less than one day. A couple of our forum members took advantage of them being back in stock.

You can request notification of new stock from B&H should they get any in before Sony branded accessories ship. Here's the controller you'd need for your 1200 Macro Flash to work on a KM DSLR:

Konica Minolta Macro Flash Controller at B&H

You can do the same thing for the 5600HS (D) (ask for notification if they get any more in, as they did recently).

As for the Nikon models, I'd agree with Nagasaki

The D70s is a newer model, and would have some benefits over the older D100. It's missing things like a PC Sync Port for PC Cord attached strobes. But, you can get an adapter to give it a sync port if that's needed.

But, I think the Konica Minolta 7D is a much better deal at current prices, especially since you already have Minolta 35mm gear, and if you like low light shooting, it would be hard to beat. Ditto for macro shooting without a tripod (given your concern about Macro Flash compatibility, I assume you like taking lots of closeups). I've seen some pretty impressive macros at ridiculously slow shutter speeds from some of our forum members using a hand held 7D, thanks to Anti-Shake.

Old May 28, 2006, 1:34 PM   #8

I would agree...I see no reason to switch. Even new Nikon DSLR models need new speedlights to take advantage of all available features. I shot Minolta for many years, but switched to Nikon because Minolta was a bit late to the digital party. I wish I still had my Minolta gear because I would jump all over the deals on the 7D. It's hard not to, but I can't justify the cost of carrying equipment from two different manufacturers (I can justify it, my wife can't).
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2006, 9:30 PM   #9

Thanks All for your responses.
I guess I will wait that little bit longer for now, and keep an eye out for new developments or wait for the old.

Cheers

Peter