Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jun 1, 2006, 2:02 AM   #11

Just RAG on the camera for the next week, take a few thousand pictures, USe the flash at the strongest settings, Do everything you can with the camera.

But make sure you are using the official Nikon Battery pack. Forget the generic batteries.

I think its a battery issue personally, so humor us
Lexiticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2006, 11:11 PM   #12

I joined this forum tonight after reading this thread (and the other one about errors and locking up)

I purchased my D50 about three weeks ago now and have experienced the same lock up. I think I figured out why mine is doing it. It has only done it when I am using my Sigma 70-200 lens... and it seems to happen when the AF can't get locked onto something (usually there is something in the foreground it wants to lock on and I'm trying to shoot something behind ... i.,e. birds in trees) and also it will lock up if I am too close to a subject. I simply step back or move my position so the lens can refocus and then the camera takes the shot with no further error.

Not sure if this was your problem or not, but it seems to be the only lockup I've experienced.. so in my case it is user error... as far as I can tell.
bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2006, 1:33 AM   #13

In menu under the little wrench, there's a mirror lock up setting. If that's not off, turn it off. I turned it on today to see what it did, I went to take a picture, thing locked up, did it again after, locked up again. Went into the menu, turned it off, worked fine again. It could've turned itself on as electronics do weird things sometimes. You might also need to go to the detailed menu.

Hope this helps!
Ken_Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2006, 4:55 PM   #14

Same problem here as above ... press the shutter button, I get the "click" sound, then "err" in the display. Shutter seems to "lock" when you release the button, then if you hit the shutter button a second time it releases but doesnt take a picture.
Ive tried the shutter lock and removing the card, changing lenses and the problem still exists. Trying a new battery next (when I can get out through the snow) and see if that fixes the problem.
hwnorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2007, 9:00 PM   #15

I have the exact same problem with the lock up and "err" message. It came out of nowhere yesterday. I changed lenses, changed cards, changed batteries, took off the flash, and made sure the mirror lock up was turned off. (Now the mirror lock option is greyed and I cannot select it.) I also cleaned the lens contacts on the lens and the camera body. No luck.

I'm looking for my receipt tonight. I believe there might have been a one year warranty on it, and I bought it sometime last January.

Skunk
Skunk Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2007, 4:15 AM   #16

I assume you have tried just turning the camera on and pressing the shutter button? I have had one lockup on my D50 and that cleared it (it is in the manual somewhere). It has not happened since.

Keith.
keith1200rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2007, 8:28 PM   #17

Add me to the list - my D50 has hung exactly like this about 5 times out of approximately 5,000 exposures I've made with it. Trip the shutter, it hangs. Trip it a second time and it clears up.
labrat99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2007, 10:10 PM   #18

Yep, did that. I got ahold of tech help this afternoon and they told me to send it in.

I believe this may have happened one or two times before but resolved itself after the next shutter button click.
The "err" shutter problem is addressed in the troubleshooting section of the manual it says: "If error persists consult with Nikon-authorized service representative."
Skunk Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote