Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

View Poll Results: Which format do you shoot in?
NEF 12 28.57%
JPEG Fine - Large 22 52.38%
JPEG Fine - Medium 4 9.52%
JPEG Fine - Small 0 0%
JPEG Normal - Large 4 9.52%
JPEG Normal - Medium 0 0%
JPEG Normal - Small 0 0%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 30, 2006, 11:25 AM   #1

I've owned my Nikon D50 for a few months now, and I feel I'm starting to get into the SLR groove. I'm getting more and more comfortable with settings, composition, etc...

Now I'm starting to wonder which format I should be shooting in to get high quality photos. It is currently set at JPEG Fine - Medium sized. Will I get better quality photos if I use the Large file size and then resize them down? Or should I take the full plunge and start using NEF?

As of now I do some basic post processing in Photoshop CS2. So as of now, NEF might be a little overwhelming for me.

I'm just curious to see what everyone else shoots in, and wondering if I'm way off the mark by shooting in JPEG. Of course, there's always file size and memory card limitations to consider as well.
PoweredBySoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 30, 2006, 11:36 AM   #2

I've used JPEG fine, large up to now. I've always followed the line of thought that if you've invested in an expensive camera then go for the best quality you can with it to make the most of it's capabilities.

For the best quality RAW is undoubtedly the way to go but of course it uses far more space on your memory cards and on your PC. I had my first go with RAW at the weekend and tried some processing using Raw Shooter Essentials 2006, however I think I've got a lot to learn yet as my results werent that great. Perhaos I should read the instructions first! :-)
Shaun Geraghty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2006, 10:37 PM   #3

I use JPEG Fine, Large. I have a 2GB memory card and that is about 560 images. That is quite a bit for many people. The quality of these images are more than acceptable in many situations.

NEF causes the camera to slow down "slightly" and since it is an image that is not processed by the camera, you need to know about photography aspects to be able to use a product like Nikon Capture or Raw Essentials 2006 to properly process the image.

NEF has its uses, but I don't think it should be used 100% of the time.
Webapprentice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2006, 4:07 AM   #4

If you do not plan to shoot RAW you should not buy the D50. A p&s will be more suitable. DSLR such as the D50 allow you to manipulate with the RAW files. Using jpeg the files will be compressed and many data will be destroyed during the process.

In jpeg mode D50 will automatically soften to reduce scars on human faces. With RAW files you get what you see and you decide the final pictures.
Attached Images

ruchai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2006, 6:02 AM   #5

The purpose of a DSLR is to be able to change lenses (and have a decent viewfinder), not to shoot RAW. The two things are not connected. You can shoot RAW with non-DSLRs as well. Shoot RAW if you like - it is not compulsory.

Keith.

ruchai wrote:
Quote:
If you do not plan to shoot RAW you should not buy the D50. A p&s will be more suitable. DSLR such as the D50 allow you to manipulate with the RAW files. Using jpeg the files will be compressed and many data will be destroyed during the process.

In jpeg mode D50 will automatically soften to reduce scars on human faces. With RAW files you get what you see and you decide the final pictures.
keith1200rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2006, 6:19 AM   #6

Although Ruchai may be overstating the case and many people are happy shooting JPG shooting RAW gives a huge amount of control over the final image rather than letting the camera make all the decisions.

Most of my photography is underwater where changing lenses is not possible and lighting is always a problem. Shooting RAW allows me to get from this.
Attached Images

Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2006, 6:20 AM   #7

To this

Ken
Attached Images

Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2006, 6:41 AM   #8

And jpeg lets you get from this:
Attached Images

Old May 31, 2006, 6:41 AM   #9

To this:
Attached Images

Old May 31, 2006, 6:45 AM   #10

Such examples just demonstrate post-processing, not the benefits of RAW. There are benefits to RAW, but they are not as much as some people claim. The only way to find out is to go and shoot the same subjects in RAW and JPG and compare the results. I use JPG most of the time and RAW for certain types of shots. This decision is based on making my own comparisons between a load of test shots and trying every RAW converter I could find, and making my own mind up what the benefits are and where it is really worth the extra post processing time.

Keith.