Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old May 30, 2006, 6:38 PM   #1

I am considering getting a refurn Nikon d50 but am beginning to wonder about the sheer volume of these units available out there. Cameta has 10-20 a day on the internet auctions, and B&H carry them full-time. I don't see auctions or ads for refurb Canons, Olympus, Pentax, or KM. Any ideas on why there are so many Nikon refurbs out there? This is going to be a major purchase for me and I definitely won't be allowed by hubby to want another camera for many years so whatever I get is going to have to last.

Thanks for any input you can provide.

Peggy:?

pmanza is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 30, 2006, 7:08 PM   #2

Oops, I am getting my camera stores confused, I meant Beach camera, not B&H.

Peggy

Old May 30, 2006, 10:32 PM   #3

Some vendors on ebay submit multiple listings in an attempt to show up on more searches. This is usally considered "spamming." The vendor may not actually have enough units to sell.

I don't know the reputation of these internet vendors like Cameta.

It is my opinion that you probably should seek a refurbished D50 from B&H or Adorama. They might be more expensive than the internet vendors, but they are very legitimate businesses in NYC.
Webapprentice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2006, 10:40 PM   #4

Cameta is an excellent Ebay Dealer, and I can vouch for them as can a lot of people on this site. (Ive purchased from them and was extremely satisfied)

www.resellerratings.com to check dealers out before hand.
Lexiticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2006, 1:40 AM   #5

Peggy,

I was in a similar situation as you are now. I had a couple of digital p&s cameras and I wanted a DSLR. Had to convince my wife I really needed a new camera. And I knew, if I bought one now, it would be a while before I could ever think of purchasing another. I wanted to be darn sure I made the right decision. In my case I was debating between a fixed lens super-zoom and a DSLR. Narrowing down the choice of the DSLR was easy for me. It was the D50. For me it was the right combination of performance, picture quality, & price. And budget considerations was a major concern. It was through this forum that put me onto the refurbs. I'm not sure why there are so many D50 refurbs for sale. It is an immensely popular camera. I think I read somewhere that Nikon was selling 148000 + units a month. It is a well-built, quality camera.

Beach is a reputable online dealer. Their current price for a D50 refurb with the 18-55 kit lense is $549, shipping included. I bought my camera from Cameta on Ebay, another reputable online dealer. Cameta auctionssell 'factory demos'. I don't know how much different they are from the refurbs that Beach sells. Both come with a 90 day factory warranty. But Cameta includes a 1-year warranty with their cameras. If you are patient and diligent you should be able to get a D50 with the 18-55 kit lense from Cameta in the $480 - $500 range plus $19 for shipping. When I received my camera from Cameta it was in absolutely perfect condition. I checked the shutter actuations. It came with less than 60. I'd say pretty darn close to brand new. My son was so impressed with my camera, he went a bought one from Cameta, also. His camera was in as perfect condition as mine, only his had 12 shutter actuations.

I am getting great pictures from my D50 and love the camera. Now I can't figure why it took me 5 months to decide. Today it looks like a easy decision.

Best wishes, Dadeo
Dadeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2006, 10:40 AM   #6

I and many others on this site have bought our cameras from Cameta and had great results and service when needed.
Quikster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2006, 12:01 PM   #7
rey

From what I understand, Cameta is the largest camera store in eBay. They are also a worldwide company, so the fact that they sell a lot of Nikon refurb, shouldn't be taken as a negative thing. They are also located just 8 miles from Nikon USA Headquaters in Long Island. So maybe it's cheaper for Nikon to send them refurbs. I bought my D50 from them and was very happy with the experience.

rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2006, 1:36 PM   #8

I purchased a "factory demo" D50 from Cameta and love it. I have had zero problems with it and couldn't tell if it had ever even been out of a factory box. I did buy the addtional Mack warranty just in case because, I too, was worried about it. In hindsight, I'm still glad I got the additional coverage but would've fared just as well without it.

Based on my experience with Cameta, I would recommend you buy with confidence.

I am very careful about buying camera items online. Typically, I only buy from B&H, Adorama, and a few things from newegg.

eddie_dane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2006, 7:14 PM   #9

Thanks everyone for your input. I feel more comfortable with the refurb option, now just need to save enough $'s. Still wonder why the other brands don't have refurb out there though.

Peggy
Old Jun 1, 2006, 10:04 PM   #10
rey

I've been reading a lot about D50 refurbs (as well as general refurbs), and here are some of what I've read, as well as my thoughts on it. I admit these are edumecated guesses, and I was a big fan of The X-Files and Oliver Stone's JFK (the mothers of all conspiracy theories):

(Not in any order)

1) Nikon recently dropped the *retail price* of the D50. This means more over-all volume for refurbs, since retial is where users are more likely to return their purchase. I noticed though, that the price of online discount stores (B&H, beach, etc) has actually gone up. This could mean that Nikon has cut production of new D50 bodies, maybe in favor the recently announcded D2xs, or... see #3 below.

2) The only camera out there that you can compare the D50 to, in terms of volume of available refurbs is the Canon Rebel XT. This is in terms of brand name and volume of new equipment sold. The Canon also recently started a $100 rebate on the XT. Maybe D50 buyers realized that, and returned the D50 for RebXT.

3) From what I've read, Nikon (and others), have a history of selling left-over new items as refurbs when a newer model is about to be released. This is so they only have to give the old products a 90-day warranty instead of the full 1-year.

This would also mean a lot of refurbs will have very low shutter actuation count. From what I've read here and other forums, not a lot of people have posted experiences of <10 clicks. Of course D50 owners are also more likely to be new to dSLR, and wouldn't know how to check for them.

Also, today Nikon announced the D2xs and new softwares, but didn't announce the D50s. My guess is, the D50s announcement won't be until September's Photokina. Or it could be July 1st, who knows! Nikon tend to announce new stuff at the beginning of the month. Also, Thom Hogan mentioned Nikon's expected DSLR volume increase for 2nd half of 2006, that probably means a new D50s and/or D80. And as Nikon did when D70s and D2xs were announced, a firmware update for the D50 should be available to closely match the D50s.

That's it.

The Truth is Out There, and the only ones who know are bound by NDA's.

rey is offline   Reply With Quote