Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old May 31, 2006, 9:53 AM   #1

I'm ready to take the D50 plunge. I have a "saved cart" at one of the recomended dealers. I just want to know if there are any other must haveitems that I should add to the list. This is what I have so far..

1.... d50 camera body

1....18-200 mm lens

1...extra battery

1...UV filter

1...circular polarizer.

(I already have SD cards, tripods, cleaning kits card readers etc, from other cameras)
BEECEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 31, 2006, 10:04 AM   #2
Administrator

What recommended dealer are you referring to?

Just because they show up in the price search engines, doesn't mean that they're not scam artists.

The 18-200mm VR lens is pretty hard to come by right now, except at some retailers getting full price or better for it.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2006, 10:33 AM   #3

This is at Beach Camera. They say they have this in stock.
BEECEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2006, 11:18 AM   #4
Administrator

Beach Camera (a.ka., buydig.com) is reputable. They usually have some pretty good prices on the camera bodies. Make sure to compare their accessories prices for name brand stuff (they've got to make a profit somehow). ;-)

They also have Nikon factory reconditioned D50 bodies.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2006, 5:11 PM   #5

Don't know what your shooting environment will be - but i have never considered a back up battery as a 'must buy'. the battery just seems to go on and on and on blah blah blah.

a cheap monopod might be a better buy .
norm smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2006, 9:19 PM   #6

Unless you're shooting at the beach or on water, I don't think protective filters are truly necessary. Digital sensors are not as sensitive to UV light as film so I don't think they add anything to the image. If it's a cheap UV filter, its just another piece of glass in front of a higher quality lens element. This can only soften the image, or even cause vignetting, epsecially at wider focal ranges. In terms of protection, small surface scratches really don't show up in images, and if you bang a lens hard enough to break it, the resulting shards will probably gouge your lens and render it useless anyway. Use the lens hood...at least this will reduce the chance of flare and actually may improve your images.

The extra battery is a good idea. Also, look at picking up a speedlight eventually..the SB600 is cheaper and still effective, but if you've got the bucks the SB800 is a true gem.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2006, 9:03 AM   #7

Over the past year I've bought most of my major camera equipment through Buydig.com, and I've been very happy with them.

$.02
PoweredBySoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2006, 5:07 PM   #8

norm smith wrote:
Quote:
- but i have never considered a back up battery as a 'must buy'. the battery just seems to go on and on and on blah blah blah.
I bought the extra battery because I never remember how long it has been since I charged it last.... they do go onand on!
ReneB3 is offline   Reply With Quote