Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jun 7, 2006, 11:33 PM   #1

I missed the opportunity to purchase Nikon's 2-year extended warranty on the Nikon D50. I only found that such an extended warranty existed well after the 10 days since I bought the camera (the extended warranty is supposed to be registered within 10 days after the camera purchase).

I am wondering what the reliability of the D50 is. If something should go wrong after the 1-year standard warranty, I wonder how much repairs cost.

Anybody have any thoughts on this?

Webapprentice is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 8, 2006, 2:43 AM   #2
rey

In general, the weakest point of DSLR is the mechanical shutter, since it snaps in such high speed. There's really no way to judge on when it'll break, just base on people's experiences. I think the D50 is rated for 25K-50K shutter actuations, but your experience will vary. Chances are, if it breaks 3+ years from now, it won't be worth fixing, since by then, cameras at the D50-level will cost around $300.

Just my thoughts.

rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2006, 11:09 AM   #3

Hi Rey,
Thanks for your input. I've been told that the most costliest repair is the CCD/filter segment. I didn't think about the shutter, since that is one of the most frequently used parts in the camera.

I'm hoping the D50 will not fail in years 2-3. Since I bought the D50 kit for $700, it makes little sense to me to do a repair if a repair of the unit will cost about half of what I paid for it. Or as you said, if the price of D50-calibur cameras drops to a level rivaling the repair cost, I might as well buy a new camera.

Old Jun 8, 2006, 12:01 PM   #4

Don't worry too much.

Just relax, and you can take great pictures with the D50.

Anxiety may make you miss many great shots.
big_potato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2006, 2:16 PM   #5
rey

Quote:
I've been told that the most costliest repair is the CCD/filter segment. I didn't think about the shutter, since that is one of the most frequently used parts in the camera. I'm hoping the D50 will not fail in years 2-3.
It would be expensive to replace the CCD filter, but since it's not a moving part, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Just don't scratch it when cleaning the sensor. I think Nikon replaces the shutter for around $150. If your camera is under 30 days old, you can look into Mack warranty. It's a 3rd party warranty. I don't have it though.

One thing you can do to lengthen the life of your camera is to not use the continuous shooting mode too much. I use it when I have to, but I avoid it if possible. The continuous mirror slap and shutter actuations can't be good to the camera. But again, use it when you have to, don't hesitate.

rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2006, 3:20 PM   #6
Log

deleted
Log is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2006, 10:42 PM   #7

rey wrote:
Quote:
It would be expensive to replace the CCD filter, but since it's not a moving part, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Just don't scratch it when cleaning the sensor. I think Nikon replaces the shutter for around $150. If your camera is under 30 days old, you can look into Mack warranty. It's a 3rd party warranty. I don't have it though.

One thing you can do to lengthen the life of your camera is to not use the continuous shooting mode too much. I use it when I have to, but I avoid it if possible. The continuous mirror slap and shutter actuations can't be good to the camera. But again, use it when you have to, don't hesitate.

Nah, the camera is now 60 days old. It's too late to save me. :-)

I have been using continuous mode to capture objects in motion, so I can have an increased chance of getting one shot to capture the object. You have a point that I should use continuous mode only when I need to. I've been using that mode regardless, so I guess I am shortening its life that way. Geez $150 is about 1/4 of the camera's retail price. Pricey parts and labor.

Thanks Rey.
Old Jun 12, 2006, 11:44 PM   #8

hurry up and wear it out, their is a new D200 with your name on it at the local shop, I saw it there when I saw the one with my name on it.

TexasHillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote