Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jun 20, 2006, 9:04 PM   #1

Hi,

I seems like i cannot change the aperture when i use the flash in P mode. The values stay at 1/60 for shutter and F5 for the aperture if i rotate the command dial. I like to have objects or people other than the subject in focus when i shoot with the flash raised. I am shooting in P mode. Please help cause this the only thing i still have to figure out. I did not see something like a default setting mentioned in the manual.
Thanks
simson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 20, 2006, 10:32 PM   #2

It's true what everyone else has said about the D50 in P mode. I had the same problem and the manul does not tell you that while shooting in P mode with low light conditions (basically inside) the camera does NOT give you control. I don't know if this is a fail safe built into the camera or a setting that I have set and forgotten,if I pointed the camera towards bright light while shooting inside, I could change the Shutter speed and apeture. Give it a try?
Jedi_Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2006, 11:04 PM   #3

I've tried it already without flash in low light and it works. But my concern is when using the flash. Besides the subject i want other objects or people to appear sharp in my pics. Till now everything other than the subject appear blurred in my pics if i shoot with the flash in P. I'm getting frustrated. It seems no one mentioning this on websites. I've tried mailing Nikon but i don't see email adresses.

Old Jun 21, 2006, 12:23 AM   #4

Just use apperature priority, if its in a low lighting condition your going to have a shutter speed of 1/60 no matter what.

The flash is actually quite powerfull, I've taken indoor F22 pics with only the flash and although it comes out darker than say F3.5, Its quite minor.
Lexiticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2006, 12:27 AM   #5

simson wrote:
Quote:
I've tried it already without flash in low light and it works. But my concern is when using the flash. Besides the subject i want other objects or people to appear sharp in my pics. Till now everything other than the subject appear blurred in my pics if i shoot with the flash in P. I'm getting frustrated. It seems no one mentioning this on websites. I've tried mailing Nikon but i don't see email adresses.
Simson,

As you know, the D-50 will sync with the flash at shutter speeds up to and including 1/500 sec. If you need more depth of field, you can shoot on manual at any shutter speed up tp 1/500 and just about any f stop. Try this at home with common objects and have fun with the flash. Its pretty amazing.

Also, if you are shooting in light that is too low for the AF, then that may be causing the blurry pics. Or slow shutter speed with the flash. The AF-assist doesn't work in P,A,S,or M modes, nor does it work in the landscape or sports modes. The others, by default, are the point and shoot modes, which take away most of your control.

Hope this helps....Robert
Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2006, 5:34 AM   #6

P stands for "prgram shift" mode. The camera chooses the aperature and shutter speed based on how it reads the situation. You can make adjustments, but only thru EV compensation by pressing down the +/- button and rotating the dial.

As was said, just use "A" mode and choose the aperature for the DOF you desire.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2006, 8:40 PM   #7

Thank you guys. I have this cam 3 or 4 days(first SLR) and i didn't have much time(working late) to go through the capabilities of this cam. Also Saturday is my wife's birthday.
I think for now i will go with A mode.

Thanks again