Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jun 23, 2006, 5:58 AM   #1

Hi folks. I'm a complete newbie to all this, only ever had a P&S camera before but after having used my girlfriend's D50 on a couple of "outings"... I've fallen in love and find I now NEED one... (have resisted as long as I can but resistance is futile!).

As I'm on a budget, I obviously need to make the best buy I can from the start and would really appreciate any help anyone can give me with the packages below as I'm really not sure which lens package to go with. :O

My main interests are wildlife andpets (particularly dogs and their activities - dog shows, agility, lure coursing etc). Zoom is very important to me! I am also interested in landscapes/scenery but know a different lens than anything listed below would be ideal for that (something to add later!)

My options are (for the exact same price which confuses me further)

: Nikkor 18-55mm and Tamron 70-300mmLD Zoom

or...

: Nikkor 18-55mm and AF Zoom-Nikkor 70-300mm f/4-5.6G

Or for AU$100 more I can buy

Nikkor 18-55mm and AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED

Again.... :angry:

I'm rather confused by the whole thing quite frankly so any help would be very gratefully received. Any further info too on things I should consider addingon to my purchaseas well would be greatly appreciated.

Just to make this post more interesting :-)I've attached a pic I took at the zoowith my GF's D50 and the 70-300mm Nikkor G lens. Haven't done anything to it but resize for the web.

[align=center][/align]
Attached Images

wasaluki is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 23, 2006, 10:42 AM   #2
rey

The Nikon and Tamron 70-300mm are basically the same, I have the Nikon version and would probably get it over the Tamron one.

The 55-200 is newer than the 70-300. It is designed for digital, so it is smaller and lighter. It's probably a little better than the 70-300. In the US, the 55-200 used to cost $60 more, but its price has dropped by $40 the past couple of weeks, so the difference is now about $20. With that difference, I'll probably get the 55-200, just so I don't have to carry a heavier lens. (Prices are in US$)

Another lens to checkout, a favorite in this site, is the Sigma 70-300 DG APO. It has better Macro feature than all the lenses mentioned here.

rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2006, 11:49 AM   #3

ive been debating the tele lense question for a while, but have finally decided to go with the 55-200 after conisdering the sigma for a hwile. Riht now its only 159 from BH which is a steal. Its smaller and ligther and a little sharper too. It focuses silently, but still slowly. Its also a nikkor. i know it sounds sorta silly, but i was just having trouble convining myself to buy an off brand lens. THe macro feature of the sigma wouold have been nice, but i plan to get a dedicated macro eventually, so thast less of an issue, andi have a pany FZ5 that can take farily good macros too. anways my 2 cents. hope that helps
billybobbovine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2006, 12:06 PM   #4

I have the 18-55mm and Nikon 70-300mm G. For wildlife, you may want the extra 100mm zooming option so you don't have to get close to wildlife that might be dangerous or scares easily.

I haven't used the 55-200mm. I've heard the autofocus is slow. The 70-300G is about $130 USD, and I think it is cheaper than the 55-200mm.
Webapprentice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2006, 6:35 AM   #5

Thanks for the input folks, it's much appreciated.

After much deliberation I did decide to go with the Nikkor 70-300G pack as... yes.. I do appreciate the extra range on the zoom, even though it's not on par with the AF-S DX lens (quality wise - from what I've read).

Am now on the hunt for a 50mm 1.8 due to all the comments on this forum about it - thanks!

So... I've placed my order and now I wait.... impatiently! I saved AU$200 by ordering it online as opposed to at my local camera store.. so I'm very pleased with my buy. I put the extra toward an extended warranty and have some to spare.
Old Jun 24, 2006, 7:20 AM   #6
rey

Congrats!
If your budget is tight, and you will do a lot of night shooting, you might consider getting an external flash liket SB600 or SB800 before the 50 mm/1.8, just something to consider.

wasaluki wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for the input folks, it's much appreciated.

After much deliberation I did decide to go with the Nikkor 70-300G pack as... yes.. I do appreciate the extra range on the zoom, even though it's not on par with the AF-S DX lens (quality wise - from what I've read).

Am now on the hunt for a 50mm 1.8 due to all the comments on this forum about it - thanks!

So... I've placed my order and now I wait.... impatiently! I saved AU$200 by ordering it online as opposed to at my local camera store.. so I'm very pleased with my buy. I put the extra toward an extended warranty and have some to spare.
rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2006, 8:17 AM   #7

Hi Rey! Yes, the SB600 or 800 is definitely on my "start up" list (I still need to do some research on these), along with a bigger/better SD card (either the Sandisk ultra II or the Extreme III - is there much of a difference??) and a decent bag (checking out the lowepro stuff).

A decent tripodand a remote are also on the list but.... we'll see how we go, ... hopefully by the end of the year or so I'll have myself organised. Would like to have a play around with some filters too at some point.

I do want to make the right decisions right off the bat and not simply go for whatever option is cheaper as I feel that it's very important to get it as right as possible from the start. Am sure I'll still makesome bad decisionsalong the way though but that's life ... you live and learn :-D

Old Jun 24, 2006, 10:00 AM   #8

For most purposes, an SB600 will be fine. I use it instead of the camera's built-in flash. The SB600 is about $100 USD cheaper than the SB800, and the main difference is that the SB800 can be used to remotely activate other standalone SB800s and SB600s.

The Sandisk Extreme III is advertised as being able to write image data to the card faster than the Ultra II. I have the Ultra II, and it's sufficient for the D50.
Old Jun 24, 2006, 12:48 PM   #9

Webapprentice wrote:
Quote:
For most purposes, an SB600 will be fine. I use it instead of the camera's built-in flash. The SB600 is about $100 USD cheaper than the SB800, and the main difference is that the SB800 can be used to remotely activate other standalone SB800s and SB600s.
I used to believe there was little difference between the 2 flashes until I got the SB800. It is more powerful, comes with color correction gels and a diffuser. It also has the ability to tilt down 7 degrees to allow for better closeup shooting. The lcd is also larger and it has more custom functions. Both are great flashes, but I only use the SB600 when using multiple flashes.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2006, 10:33 AM   #10

rjseeney ,
Thanks for the additional points. I think you are more a more experienced photographer than I am. I am a novice. For the general shots I take, I haven't had a need to consider the SB800. That is why I made the recommendation I did.