Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jun 25, 2006, 6:43 PM   #1

I'm just getting to grips with M mode. The other night I was trying to take a photograph in low-ish light (indoors with a few lamps on) and the meter in the viewfinder started flashing. Does anyone know what this means?

Also, after popping the flash up I noticed that it made no difference at all to the metering - the meter continued to recommend a very slow shutter speed and wide aperture. I know that in P, A and S modes the recommended settings change markedly when I pop the flash or have a speedlight attached, why does M not do the same?
eeperman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 25, 2006, 9:51 PM   #2

"M" is manual mode on the camera. You need to set the aperture as well as the shutter speed.

The light blinked when you fired the flash to inform you that the strobe fired at full power and it may have not been enough light falling on your subject.

Try shooting at a very high ISO setting if you can't get enough light for a proper exposure.

Read the manual and it will tell you all about the settings and what they do.

Ronnie

Ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2006, 3:36 AM   #3

For the D50 - see page 46 of the manual. It means "the limits of the exposure metering system are exceeded". In other words - it's too dark so the metering will not be accurate.

Keith.

eeperman wrote:
Quote:
I'm just getting to grips with M mode. The other night I was trying to take a photograph in low-ish light (indoors with a few lamps on) and the meter in the viewfinder started flashing. Does anyone know what this means?
keith1200rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2006, 5:13 AM   #4

Thanks chaps.

Keith, I think you were closest to the answer I was looking for. Funny, I checked the manual and didn't find that bit. Must try harder....

I still think its odd that popping the flash makes no difference to the recommended settings. I would have thought that once I had set shutter speed and aperture to "zero" the meter, popping the flash would indicate an overexposure.

Back to the manual I think....
eeperman is offline   Reply With Quote