Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jun 29, 2006, 3:20 AM   #1

Since purchasing my D50 I have pretty much been using my Tamron 18-200. While I do mostly portraits of individuals or groups, when I had the camera set to closest subject, it would sometimes focus on the side of the group I was taking a pic of and not the center. So I would release the shutter button and try and refocus until I had the center of the group in focus. Unfortuatley, I have lost some good candidshots because of it and wanted some advice. what setting is recommended? I have switched to single area and have the center selected, but am concerned that this might not be optimal for the shots i want. I mainly take pics of family in groups and what not but occaisonally of other things like sports and landscapes. Thanks

Eddie

Edrod13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 29, 2006, 5:29 AM   #2

I'd use single area or dynamic area (which tracks the subject if it moves after focusing). Use the 4 way controller to select the focus pointthat is most appropriate for the picture you're trying to take. I tend to use the centre point as default and change it as required.

Ken
Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2006, 7:10 AM   #3

Maybe you could try with different kinds of metering?
Mooshie2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2006, 11:56 AM   #4

so far I have it set to SINGLE and the center is selected. If I do have it set this way and take a pic of say 6 to 8 people. What if the persons on the sides are not as clear as the people closer to the center? Does this mean that I need to adjust my aperture to ensure that everyone shows up clear? Thanks

Old Jun 29, 2006, 2:40 PM   #5

What Aperature setting are you using?
Kewjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2006, 1:50 AM   #6

Well the 18-200 has a range from about F3.5-F6.3. Not really sure where I was but probable somwhere around F5 or so.

Old Jun 30, 2006, 2:47 AM   #7

Use the aperture 7 or more while taking a group of people. It is quiet really annoying that the objects in the edges are not so sharp like in the middle. Unfortunately it happens to me as well with Sigma 18-200. Nikon 18-200mm VR is too expensive for me.
Swedson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2006, 3:03 AM   #8

Swedson,

when you set F7 or so what does your shutter speed look like? I think I tried that once but the shutter speed decreases dramatically and even though there are still portraits, a little movement could cause blurring.
Old Jun 30, 2006, 3:03 AM   #9

Swedson,

when you set F7 or so what does your shutter speed look like? I think I tried that once but the shutter speed decreases dramatically and even though there are still portraits, a little movement could cause blurring.
Old Jun 30, 2006, 5:32 AM   #10

What focal length are you using the lens at? You'll get away with a slower shutter speed at 18mm than you will at 200. At 18mm a shutter speed of 1/60 should be enough to freeze any movement in a static group and to prevent any bluring from camera shake. Slowing the shutter speed and using an aperture ot F8 or F11 will give a sharper result than keeping the shutter speed high and using the lens at or near it's maximum aperture.

Ken
Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote