Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jul 1, 2006, 5:50 PM   #1

Okokok, This is going to seem very stupid and I apologise in advance if this makes me look like a burk. I'm using a D50 and I changed the primary auto focus point by using the arrow buttons on Dynamic AF.

Now, I can't figure out how to get all the AF points to be active again.

I do not know if it's possible for all focus points to be active. i.e. you know where you have the [+] for active and [ ] for inactive...I want all seven to have [ + ]

I fully apologise if this is not possible, but I seem to remember all seven being active before I decided to pick one.
StevenC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 14, 2006, 3:38 AM   #2

I assume 1) I've asked a stupid question or b) asked a very good question?
Old Jul 14, 2006, 4:56 AM   #3

Well, I put my D50 into single AF area mode when I bought it and have left it there so I wasn't in much of a position to give advice, but if I understand your question correctly, if you switch the AF-Area mode to Dynamic (custom option 3) then you get 5 crosses on the top LCD. Is that what you are after?

Keith.
keith1200rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2006, 2:38 PM   #4

I dont get 5 crosses when I do that...
Old Jul 14, 2006, 7:05 PM   #5
rey

To get 5 crosses, you put the camera of Closest Subject AF Mode. It then focuses on the closes subject. I've tried this mode and didn't like it. Note that this doesn't mean the 5 subjects that the 5 crosses are on will be in focus. It'll pick one of the five.
rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2006, 10:46 AM   #6

OK, I have another question. In the menu, in autofocus one can select between AF-A, AF-S or AF-C. What does each do different from each other. If someone can explain this, it would really be of help. Or point me to a page in the English manual, because I haven't been able to find the reference anywhere.
Thanks.
zygh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2006, 12:46 PM   #7
rey

Quote:
OK, I have another question. In the menu, in autofocus one can select between AF-A, AF-S or AF-C. What does each do different from each other. If someone can explain this, it would really be of help. Or point me to a page in the English manual, because I haven't been able to find the reference anywhere. Thanks.
Here's the manual's description:

AF-A (default)
Camera selects AF-S or AF-C mode automatically according to shooting
conditions and whether the subject is moving.

AF-S
Single-servo AF. Focus locks when shutter-release button is pressed
halfway. Use with stationary subjects.

AF-C
Continuous-servo AF. Camera focuses continuously while shutter-release
button is pressed halfway; AF-assist illuminator turns off. Use
with moving subjects.

AF-C is useful when you have a subject moving towards or away from you, like when shooting from under the basketball hoop and players are going up and down the court (away and towards you). Or, the classic example is a dog running towards you. The camera will consistantly keep the subject under the active focus point "in-focus".

Note that this would be useless when your subject is stationary, and/or you re-compose the shot after holding the trigger half-way, since the subject that initially had the focus, will then be out of focus if the depth between it, and the current subject under the active focus point are a huge (like a person standing in front of far landscape).

rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2006, 7:07 PM   #8

Hey man, thanks a lot! I think I got it. Cheers!
zygh is offline   Reply With Quote