Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jul 6, 2006, 7:46 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 172
Default

Okay. Let's say I'm sold on those outdoor pic's. Can't imagine anything a whole lot better than that, at least with my current P&S, and expectations.

Then the ISO debate mentioned above. Where will ISO come into play. Let's say 50+ percent of pictures will be taken indoors, fairly dark home, with just a lamp and TV as lighting. Is that where you will need ISO, or, in a space of less than say, 15 feet, willl the cameras own flash suffice??? Is ISO more needed when outside at dusk capturing a child playing 35 feet away? Evening football game under lights? Where will the real ISO issues come into play, real world???

thanks
leeraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2006, 11:09 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 202
Default

I think you guys should take a look at the Alpha, or existing 7D by minolta.

labrat99 wrote:
Quote:
As a practical matter, there's not much difference. The Canon/Nkon debate in my opinion is much like arguing over how many angels can dance on the head of a pin. Both manufacturers sell VERY high quality equipment. If you've already got lenses for one system or the other, your decision is made. If not, do a little research. Visit a camera shop and hold them both. Get a salesman to demo them if you can. Nikon has demo videos on their website. I assume Canon has something similar. In the end, you pretty much can't make a bad choice.

Having said all that, I'll add this. I LOVE my D50! It's a much better camera than I am a photographer and a blast to take photos with.
maxxum7d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2006, 11:14 AM   #13
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 18
Default

Can't really speak for your area, but I'm in Alaska. During the winter, the ISO is a big issue, but only when I'm trying to cut down on the flash effect (when I'm shooting at ISO 800 or 1600). The Canon took sharp photos, the d200 took... crummy photos (OK, but really noisy). Add in the flash & it's OK, but I really don't like the inline flash effect, so I try to keep that down. Using an external flash was much better, but I wouldn't go below ISO 400.

Now, during the summer I can easily take ISO 200 shots indoors, when ambient light from the sun is strong, so I'm liking it a lot more right now.

A side note: the only people I know who use NIK Multimedia's sharpener are Nikon people. The canon folks generally say "who?". Link: http://www.niksoftware.com/sharpenerpro/usa/entry.php?
volchonok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2006, 5:36 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 118
Default

snakeman,

You've done it again!!!! Whata Precious child,holding on to Dad's hand sure does have an effect.....especially on this old Granddad. That photo should be in a magazine. Print that picture and show it around.

AND.....Don't you dare change the settings on that camera!!!! "Auto" sure does super good for you.

The photo of the car is just Super too. Thank you very much for sharing.

Let us see more of your Fantastic photos.

divertwo
divertwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2006, 1:31 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
snakeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 181
Default

divertwo wrote:
Quote:
snakeman,

You've done it again!!!! Whata Precious child,holding on to Dad's hand sure does have an effect.....especially on this old Granddad. That photo should be in a magazine. Print that picture and show it around.

AND.....Don't you dare change the settings on that camera!!!! "Auto" sure does super good for you.

The photo of the car is just Super too. Thank you very much for sharing.

Let us see more of your Fantastic photos.

divertwo


WOW...divertwo....im a bit speechless.....

im no pro....i just love capturing a moment whenever i can..... so thanks a mill for the compliment.

ill post some more pics that i have taken with my buddies D50....

the ones ive taken with my F717 look OK but nothing to write home bout...

but ill def be buying myself either the D50 or D70s within the next month or two...




here is the unedited picture of little Giovanna.....

i just resized it for posting.


snakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2006, 2:14 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
snakeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 181
Default

just 2 more.....

another one of little Giovanna.......



and this one was taken on Shutter Priority.....came out decent i think....not great but ok...


snakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2006, 9:25 AM   #17
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 38
Default

What's your point? I believe the question was what would cause one to recommend Canon over Nikon or vice-versa. Take it somewhere else.

maxxum7d wrote:
Quote:
I think you guys should take a look at the Alpha, or existing 7D by minolta.

labrat99 wrote:
Quote:
As a practical matter, there's not much difference. The Canon/Nkon debate in my opinion is much like arguing over how many angels can dance on the head of a pin. Both manufacturers sell VERY high quality equipment. If you've already got lenses for one system or the other, your decision is made. If not, do a little research. Visit a camera shop and hold them both. Get a salesman to demo them if you can. Nikon has demo videos on their website. I assume Canon has something similar. In the end, you pretty much can't make a bad choice.

Having said all that, I'll add this. I LOVE my D50! It's a much better camera than I am a photographer and a blast to take photos with.
labrat99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2006, 9:35 AM   #18
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 202
Default

Because Nikon and Sony use the same CCD. The debate could also be "why would you choose Nikon/Sony over Canon" because Nikon is generally considered to have better quality at higher ISOs than Canon.

And now, Carl Zeiss lenses are available for the alpha, just like they are for Nikons.

labrat99 wrote:
Quote:
What's your point? I believe the question was what would cause one to recommend Canon over Nikon or vice-versa. Take it somewhere else.

maxxum7d wrote:
Quote:
I think you guys should take a look at the Alpha, or existing 7D by minolta.

labrat99 wrote:
Quote:
As a practical matter, there's not much difference. The Canon/Nkon debate in my opinion is much like arguing over how many angels can dance on the head of a pin. Both manufacturers sell VERY high quality equipment. If you've already got lenses for one system or the other, your decision is made. If not, do a little research. Visit a camera shop and hold them both. Get a salesman to demo them if you can. Nikon has demo videos on their website. I assume Canon has something similar. In the end, you pretty much can't make a bad choice.

Having said all that, I'll add this. I LOVE my D50! It's a much better camera than I am a photographer and a blast to take photos with.
maxxum7d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2006, 9:37 AM   #19
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 38
Default

I'm really surprised by your post because I think noise at higher ISO ratings are one are where it is generally accepted that Nikon has an advantage over Canon. That is one of the BIG reasons I chose a D50. I shoot concerts using existing light at ISO 1600 and noise is not an issue.

Did you shoot with both of these cameras personally? Could it be that you weren't familiar with the D200 and didn't have it set up properly?

I think both companies make fine cameras - pick whichever brand suits you and use it often. That is the best way to get nice results, not endlessly fretting over specs.

volchonok wrote:
Quote:
Can't really speak for your area, but I'm in Alaska. During the winter, the ISO is a big issue, but only when I'm trying to cut down on the flash effect (when I'm shooting at ISO 800 or 1600). The Canon took sharp photos, the d200 took... crummy photos (OK, but really noisy). Add in the flash & it's OK, but I really don't like the inline flash effect, so I try to keep that down. Using an external flash was much better, but I wouldn't go below ISO 400.

Now, during the summer I can easily take ISO 200 shots indoors, when ambient light from the sun is strong, so I'm liking it a lot more right now.

A side note: the only people I know who use NIK Multimedia's sharpener are Nikon people. The canon folks generally say "who?". Link: http://www.niksoftware.com/sharpenerpro/usa/entry.php?
labrat99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2006, 11:43 AM   #20
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 118
Default

snakeman,

These are Super Good pictures. That is one Beautiful child. Wish you were here to take some photos of my Grandchildren.

You sure stopped the car huh? What shutter speed did you use?

Keep 'em comin'.

Thank you very much for sharing.

divertwo
divertwo is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 1:28 AM.